New Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystikdreamer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I finally decided to take the plunge and start my own aquarium. My little sister gave me her old aquarium-a small 3 gallon plastic aquarium with a small filter system and a light that no longer works (she spilled water on it at some point). I know before that she kept a pleco and a baby oscar in there (the pleco was eaten by the oscar-and I did educate her about proper oscar care, but sadly before she could switch tanks, her oscar died).
First of all, I need to know how to clean it, becuase I dont want any disease or parasites left from her fish (While it doesn't appear the Oscar died of disease, I'd rather be safe than sorry)
Also, I was planning on putting a single male betta in the tank. I would prefer to have a bigger tank, but at least it's better than a small bowl. Does this sound ok? Or would the tank be to small for him?
Finally, I know bettas do better in warmer water, so would I be able to hook a heater up to the aquarium? As I said, it's plastic so I don't know if it would melt or not.
Thanks in advance for any help! Oh and if you could give me some tips on the cycling, or maybe some advice on the likes and dislikes of bettas (I did do my research, but any advice from betta owners would be nice) I'd appreciate it.

I think a 3g tank would be great for a single betta. For cleaning it, if the tank has been dry any parasites or diseases or anything that did live in it are dead too. To clean tanks, I use water and white vinegar. It's harmless, and does a good job on cleaning it out.

In my signature are links to the Nitrogen Cycle and Fishless Cycling. These articles contain pretty much all the info you know on how to cycle your tank without fish. Read them, and if you have any questions just let us know!

My betta loves her plants-- for the 'optimal betta experience' you may want to consider doing a planted tank. You'll need a functioning light for that though.

Learn learn learn before getting that fishy: everything is 10x more confusing when you've got a fish to keep healthy in the tank too.

Thanks for all the tips so far! I dunno if I'd be able to handle plants yet but I'll look into a new light and see where I go from there.
I still need to know whether I should risk a heater or not with the plastic :-?

You can probably use a mini 7.5 watt heater just fine. They're designed for that size tank (2 to 5 gallons). They're only advertised to increase water temperature by a few degrees though.

Here's a link to one: Hydor Mini Aquarium Heater at PETCO

If you have a Meijer grocery store around you I've seen them there for not much at all.

Back
Top Bottom