New Tank Help - ICH and Cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trafficjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started with a 30 gal. planted tank and added 4 white cloud minnows, and 3 Brillant Rasboras on day three but they came with ICH. Returned the sick Rasboras to the LFS after they had been in the tank for 24 hours and added a Dwarf Gourami, and 2 Opaline Gouramis to start the cycling. It's now a week later and the Gouramis have also developed ICH!

Removed carbon from my filter and added 1/2 dose of Super Ick Cure TM (1 teaspoon per 10 gal.) because of the plants. I want to know what effect this will have on cycling?

Water temp is 77F, pH is 7.4, Ammonia 0.25 ppm and nitrite is 2.0ppm

Questions:
1. Should I increase temp and how high for how long?
2. Will a 25% water change as indicated on the medication wreck havock with the cycling process?
3. How long should I treat? Bottle says one more dose in 48 hours?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I hate to start out making too many mistakes. I am getting attached to these Gouramis and would hate to lose them.

im not sure, but my goldfish have ick , i have the same Super Ick Cure TM,
1 fish is did this morning , i donut know for with he did . sorry abut your fish :(. i think they will gat good if you will using the Super Ick Cure TM

I think you are going to need to concentrate on treating the ich with high temps and daily partial water changes. The minnows definitely prefer cooler temps than most tropicals but I have treated them with heat before and have seen no detrimental effects - had several generations now for a couple of years.

This is going to slightly slow your cycle, but you will need to get the fish through the illness and then start pampering your precious bacteria, LOL. When you use the heat method be sure to lower the water level so the filter return splashes some, and/or get a bubble wand since the heat reduces the available oxygen for the fish.

Good luck, and sorry this had to strike when you are trying to cycle. Consider a fishless cycle next time and you can get it done without the worry of the health of the fish, but it is boring looking at that empty tank for weeks, I know!

Thanks Tank Girl for the good advice and kind words. I have an Eheim 2213 filter with a spray bar - so hopefully oxygen won't be an issue. How hot should I go and for how long?

TJ- Sorry I did not reply sooner but hubby had surgery so I've bit away from the boards a bit.

Don't know if you have gotten this info yet or not, but 86F for a week to 10 days (maintain for about 4 days after the last speck of ich is gone off the fish). Lower your water level and let that spray bar splash, and you are golden. Good luck!

Thanks again TankGirl! Have now boosted the temp. and my treatments with Quick Ick Cure TM seems to be working.

Hope all is well and that the surgery wasn't serious. Nice to see you back!

Back
Top Bottom