New Tank Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I currently just set up my new 55 gal fresh water tank, with a marineland canister filter, and its been running for 4 days. I want to make these a african cichlid tank once its ready to be stock, ive read about nitrogen cycles, and was wonderin what would be the best way and the first step to start it. I have a 10 gal tank with 5 small tropical fish and when i set that one up 4 months ago i had no idea of the cycle which resulted in 2 of the fishes dyng it seems to be fine now with all the fishes being good, i want to make sure i do this next one the right way, Any suggestions would help . Thank You

Well, you can do I silent cycle, or a traditional cycle. Basically you run the tank, and test the water with a liquid test kit until:

Ammonia : 0 ppm
NitrIte : 0 ppm
NitrAte : under 20 ppm

Then, you can slowly add fish. That is just the jest of it. Others will elaborate more.

:welcome:

Thank you! I had bought the API quick start but not sure if I want to use that since I've read some mixed reviews on the results, I just purchased the ammonia from the hardware store , my tank started getting cloudy yesterday should I wait for the cloudiness to go away? I've heard that it usually goes away on its own as it normal for new tanks to have cloudy water

Back
Top Bottom