New tank ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultra11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 100 gallon tank, about 4 wks old, nitrite are peaking a 5ppm, I have 7 giant danio's ( not sure of the spelling) but I've noticed that a couple of the fish have ick.
do i apply meds, and if i do, how is this going to affect my cycle.
thanks
I have a fluval 405 and an eheim 2028 running

I would strongly recommend medicating the fish. It shouldn't affect the cycle in any way. leaving the tank with the Ick will only cause more troubles.

[center:3dc6ce8c5f] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, ultra11!! :n00b: [/center:3dc6ce8c5f]

It is best to treat ich the natural way with heat and salt. There is an article detailing the treatment in the Articles section.

When people advise the heat and salt method... exactly what type of salt should I be looking to use? And what temp should the tank be moved up to?

And what temp should the tank be moved up to?
Slowly raise the temp to 86*F. Salt should be aquarium grade--not marine and not table salt. Dissolve the salt in some water before putting into the aquarium :D

Thanks Menagerie and Whitetiger.

I went with heat and salt, and things are responding well. I chose not to medicate as I did not want to wipe out my fragile bio filter

sorry for the typo, its a fluval 403

The best thing to have done was let the tank cycle before you put any fish you want to keep or they will usually get ick.

Back
Top Bottom