New tank, male guppy relentlessly chasing another.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Didge3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've got a new cycled tank, levels are good, no ammo or nitrite and only a small amount of nitrate.
I got a pair of male guppies yesterday to start it off, for the first 6 hours or so they were happily exploring the tank and swimming about until one of them (slightly larger) keeps following the other, I've kept an eye on them and I've never seen either of them nip each other but he just won't leave the other one alone, to the point where they just float near each other when the one being chased presumably gets a bit tired of swimming away constantly...

Should I intervene is some way?

Add some females and the will calm down. Guessing your ph is ok too? Have you got plants and rocks in the tank too because they like pecking at plants but it gives them somewhere to retreat too also.

My ph has remained the same 7.6 throughout the entire cycle and it still remains at 7.6 so its stable.

I have some artificial plants and decor which they do pick at but its all in the lower 1/3 of the tank. Wouldn't introducing females mean I'm potentially going to have some reproduction happening? That isn't what I bargained for :ermm:
They seemed to have calmed down a fair bit now, when they get close to each other they begin a bit of chase but separate off and then chill out on different sides of the tank so hopefully they've come to some sort of agreement :ROFLMAO:

Lol. Neon tetras do a similar thing called "showing". Finding out who the boss is when it comes to mating. If you have 2 males just tell the submissive one not to drop the soap lol

Glad its not just mine then! I was planning on getting another 2 male guppies later on but I wanted to start with just the two and check my levels etc so I know I'm not going to overwhelm my biofilter.
Hoping that getting another 2 males might even out the power struggle a bit since there won't be only 1 fish to pick on

Back
Top Bottom