New Tank! Need Ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S_Hurley

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am getting a new tank very soon! It is going to be a freshwater tank either 55 or 75 gallons, both are the same length but the 75 is 5 inches wider but that's not the point.

I was wanting to go with a more natural look than
the 10 gallon I have now. So I was definitely thinking sand and such. But I was also thinking maybe a shipwreck or something? I really don't know so the main reason I am posting this is to gather some cool ideas!

Also what fish do you guys think would go good in the tank?

I appreciate all suggestions below.

P.S Sorry I'm on an iPhone so I'm not sure which thread I'm posting in but I hope this is the right one.

Wow there are infinite options here! I like natural planted aquariums best. Shipwrecks always seemed a bit tacky to me but it's completely up to you and what you like.

To get a few ideas, you can go to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums to the freshwater fish section and narrow the options down to minimum of 55 gallons (if you get the 75g tank instead you can increase it). That'll help to give you some ideas.

What are you looking to do? A cichlid setup? Community aquarium? Species tank? Once you decide then I can start giving suggestions.

I could be wrong (still leaning about all the fishies specifications) but I think if you get a 55 your good on just about everything except a common pleco unless your absolutely certain you will be able to upgrade to a bigger tank when needed, I
*think* recommended gallons for a common pleco is 75, so if you get the 75 you should be fine, also I think sharks are not recommended for 55 because of adult size, again I think, unless again you are certain you could upgrade when needed. You could do any kind of terra, and getting tetras would allow you to have schooling fish (schooling fish need a minimum of 5 fish per group), bottom dweller wise you could definitely do Cory's, another schooling fish. And I'm sure you know this but dont even consider koi, for starters they are cold water and do not belong in aquariums and should only be in ponds. Just to name fish off the top of my head that I haven't mentioned, you could do barbs, guppies (depending on what else you put in your tank), mollies, platies, angelfish, gouramis, rams (only rams if your water params are excellent, rams are sensitive). Pleco's (not sure on different kinds but I know their are some that would be fine in something smaller than a 75.. Pretty sure anyway, hopefully someone can chime in on different pleco's).

A full grown common pleco needs 300 gallon and above excellent filtration. So that fish is a definite no go.

jackwagon said:
A full grown common pleco needs 300 gallon and above excellent filtration. So that fish is a definite no go.

Wow didn't know that, good to know. Isn't there other species that can be kept in fewer
Gallons than 300?

Of course :). A couple good ones for a 55 are

Bristlenose, snowball, gold nugget, or a bulldog/rubber lip

Good to know :) I have a 55 but it's not up and running yet, still need practically everything for it. I had a pleco with my last go around with fish (listened to the person at petsmart and had him in a tank way to small :/ but I learned from those misyakes!) I loved the common I had and was hoping I could have another pleco again one day, glad to hear I can! Ok.. Done With my question, didn't mean to take over the thread :)

Bettafanatic said:
Wow there are infinite options here! I like natural planted aquariums best. Shipwrecks always seemed a bit tacky to me but it's completely up to you and what you like.

To get a few ideas, you can go to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums to the freshwater fish section and narrow the options down to minimum of 55 gallons (if you get the 75g tank instead you can increase it). That'll help to give you some ideas.

What are you looking to do? A cichlid setup? Community aquarium? Species tank? Once you decide then I can start giving suggestions.

Wow thank you guys so much for the help! I saw some aquaskape videos last night and I thought that would be really cool but it really does look like a task. I've come to realize though that if I want this nice tank I'm not going to get most of the scenery at Pet Supermarket. So how much harder is it to produce an maintain a aquaskape and do you recommend it or no?

On the topic of fish, I want to go with a tank that has multiple different species with bigger sized fish. I don't want them to be as small as my cherry barbs. I know some fish are more aggressive than others though. In a perfect world I wish there was some way to combine like angelfish, cichlids, and some freshwater sharks along with a couple different species like loaches I believe. I just want some color in there ya know?

_skyla_ said:
On the topic of plecos look up the albino longfin bristlenose my favourite just beautiful

Oh. My. Gosh. I have to have that fish!!! Please tell me it will go in a 55..... :holds breath:

yes im glad to tell you they will, they are just diferent colour strains and varients of the normal bn plec. they are amazing arnt they! Mine are so tiny i had 3 but one didnt make.it as i.posted in another thread but one is just thriving and i cant wait for it to get bigger and really show off those beautiful long fins ahh im in love haha

_skyla_ said:
yes im glad to tell you they will, they are just diferent colour strains and varients of the normal bn plec. they are amazing arnt they! Mine are so tiny i had 3 but one didnt make.it as i.posted in another thread but one is just thriving and i cant wait for it to get bigger and really show off those beautiful long fins ahh im in love haha

One more question... Would putting one in a 30 be completely out of the question?

Mrs.h2012 said:
One more question... Would putting one in a 30 be completely out of the question?

a 20g long would be the minimum for a full grown one so yeah youd be fine doing that :) I have mine in the 17.5g now only because their so small and ill upgrade as they get bigger

_skyla_ said:
a 20g long would be the minimum for a full grown one so yeah youd be fine doing that :) I have mine in the 17.5g now only because their so small and ill upgrade as they get bigger

Oooh makes me very very excited :) I have a 30 gallon now... Now just to find the fish once it cycles :)

S_Hurley said:
So I am getting a new tank very soon! It is going to be a freshwater tank either 55 or 75 gallons, both are the same length but the 75 is 5 inches wider but that's not the point.

I was wanting to go with a more natural look than
the 10 gallon I have now. So I was definitely thinking sand and such. But I was also thinking maybe a shipwreck or something? I really don't know so the main reason I am posting this is to gather some cool ideas!

Also what fish do you guys think would go good in the tank?

I appreciate all suggestions below.

P.S Sorry I'm on an iPhone so I'm not sure which thread I'm posting in but I hope this is the right one.

I'm impressed you were able to figure out how to start a new thread using an IPhone. You've got me beat.

You are on the right track. If everyone spent a little time thinking about what they want their end result to be, there would be a whole lot less aquariums on Craig's list.
Opinions are like belly buttons, but I'd go as natural as you can. Pick the fish first and then match the environment to their needs.

Back
Top Bottom