new tank. new filter. no instrustions. help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubleguppy_2013

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to seup my new tank that my family member gave to me. He had no intrustions and I had no idea what filter he had given me. I thought it was like my other filters but its not at all. The lid says aquatech and here's everything he gave me

Aqua-Tech Power Filters

Which model is it?

Aqua-Tech is made specifically for WalMart. You don't hear about this brand of filter much, which doesn't say much for it. It gets pretty lousy reviews.

Here's a you-tube video that shows how to install:

0It only says aqua tech 10-20. He left me without and instrustions. The smallr one seem to be missing something. I've tried watching videos on youtube but I can't find anything that helps. The larger one doesn't even have a cord. I'm thinking the little square thing hooks up to it but where?!?!

it looks like the small corded piece on the left should twist onto the impellor of the filter on the right. not familiar with the filter on the right.

The little square thing is the filter impeller. You will probably see a round opening on the bottom of the filter housing somewhere. This is where the impeller plugs in. Be sure to get it tight, because if you don't all the water will leak out of the filter.

What size tank and for what fish are you planning on using this?

Well I have 2 tanks already set up 10 gal male guppy tank and 5 gal female guppy tank
I have 8 males and 3 females. At the time my females died so I bought the five avoiding over crowd and now I have what seems to be a 20 gal. I wanted to combine them and when tank is cycled ima join the fish and make sure I keep my 1 mal to 2 females going.

I just connectedthe two parts you said to and I wanted to test it out so I put only the tube part in and yes its tightly in and it just makes a loud noise and doest suck up any water

You kind of lost me with your explanation. I understand what you have set up but I don't understand where this filter is going. A 20 gallon?

The filter is rated for 20 gallons. Personally, I'd go to the lfs and pick up a filter rated for 40 gallons. This is a $10 filter. I don't trust it. Like I said, it got awful reviews. Plus, it's used. Why risk it?

I just connectedthe two parts you said to and I wanted to test it out so I put only the tube part in and yes its tightly in and it just makes a loud noise and doest suck up any water

If the intake tube is not perfectly aligned over the impeller, it will not run properly. The reviewers said this impeller fails constantly. It's one of the reasons the filter gets such low grades.

I have aquatech filters because I haven't had a chance to upgrade. When it makes that noise, take a cup and pour tank water in the filter. It should eventually start pumping.

Yeah its for a 20 but I also have the second one but it doesn't have a cover. He said he used two filters for his 20 and he also had an underground filter. Is aquatech not a good brand?

As I said earlier, the reviews on this line of filters is really bad. 2/3 of owners had problems......

Aquatech is a very cheap brand, and in turn is pretty low quality. The one I have in y 29 gallon needs to be replaced as soon as I can manage it. And I've had it for maybe a year. :/

Yeah I just figured that out since its wamart brand(no offense to walmart I love it!) But yeah later this week I'm going to buy a better one this is just all I have right now.

The filter on the left is part of a Marineland Eclipse aquarium kit. They go inside the tank and is supported by the tank's perimeter or center brace.

David

Back
Top Bottom