New tank not cycling! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my neon tetras nearly 4 weeks now and nothing is happening in the tank! I have a 64ltr tank with 10 neon tetras, they get fed once a day. My ammonia nitrite and nitrate have all been 0. Two days ago my ammonia might have been 0.25 but it's hard to tell with the colour chart (API master test kit)I have done the tests to the letter. I have done 3 water changes in 3 weeks of about 5 to 8ltrs each time and now and again sucked the waste off the bottom of the tank with a turkey baster! I use love fish tap safe and put filter booster in when I do a water change. Am I doing something wrong? The fish all seem happy but don't want to add more fish until the tank has cycled

Mishyc, you must be doing everything right. You have kept a school of very fragile, water condition sensitive fish alive for a month in a newly setup, uncycled tank. Cycling a tank old school,"With fish" usually means a small group of tough fish like, barbs or zebra fish, accepting a few losses along the way during the cycling process. You've done what most haven't. Its likely okay to start gradually adding additional fish, but keep a close watch on your water and be prepared for WC's if you see a spike. Good luck.

Mishyc, you must be doing everything right. You have kept a school of very fragile, water condition sensitive fish alive for a month in a newly setup, uncycled tank. Cycling a tank old school,"With fish" usually means a small group of tough fish like, barbs or zebra fish, accepting a few losses along the way during the cycling process. You've done what most haven't. Its likely okay to start gradually adding additional fish, but keep a close watch on your water and be prepared for WC's if you see a spike. Good luck.

Oh well that's great then thank you[emoji4], I'd ran the tank for a week before I got them and the water went cloudy for a couple of days but righted itself before I got the fish. I'm new to fish keeping and would have done a fishless cycle but I only learnt about the nitrogen cycle after I got them! ( pets at home told me, once I've had the tank 3 or four days and put filter boost and tap safe in I'm good to go [emoji52])

I agree with V227. You are doing a good job.

Neon tetra don't produce much waste but your tank will cycle given more time. I wouldn't add too many more fish just yet. One or two would be ok though.

I agree with V227. You are doing a good job.

Neon tetra don't produce much waste but your tank will cycle given more time. I wouldn't add too many more fish just yet. One or two would be ok though.

Ah right, I was going to hold off for about another month or so anyway because the fish I want at the pet shop are off sale in quarantine and have been for 4 weeks, not sure what's wrong with them

Back
Top Bottom