Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New tank owner, need help :(

Hey guys!

This is my first post and you will be able to tell. I bought my first (15 gallon column) tank about a month and a half ago.

Well, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to cycle my tank right now. I received terrible advice from my lfs. I was told to get a couple minnows to help my tank cycle. So now i have 2 minnows, 2 ghost shrimp and I've found some snails in my tank. (must have come from the plants i put in).

My ammonia is off the chart, 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite. I have a power filter inside of the tank and also an over the back filter running. I haven't done any water changes for the past 6 weeks. From day 1 the ammonia rose and rose until about 10 days ago, where it stopped at the darkest color green on the chart.

Now I'm noticing some white spider web stuff sticking to the dead plants and under the lid on the tank. There's also a bunch of tiny white cotton looking things sticking to the glass on the inside of the tank.

I know this must sound humorous to some veteran fish keepers. lol
But seriously I need help. What do I do?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi!
Very high ammonia levels have been known to stall cycles. You need to do lots of large water changes to get ammonia down as low as possible.
This article contains a link to the fish in cycling guide. It will explain what you need to do.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ium/Page1.html
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com