New tank owner, need help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeymikemo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys!

This is my first post and you will be able to tell. I bought my first (15 gallon column) tank about a month and a half ago.

Well, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to cycle my tank right now. I received terrible advice from my lfs. I was told to get a couple minnows to help my tank cycle. So now i have 2 minnows, 2 ghost shrimp and I've found some snails in my tank. (must have come from the plants i put in).

My ammonia is off the chart, 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite. I have a power filter inside of the tank and also an over the back filter running. I haven't done any water changes for the past 6 weeks. From day 1 the ammonia rose and rose until about 10 days ago, where it stopped at the darkest color green on the chart.

Now I'm noticing some white spider web stuff sticking to the dead plants and under the lid on the tank. There's also a bunch of tiny white cotton looking things sticking to the glass on the inside of the tank.

I know this must sound humorous to some veteran fish keepers. lol
But seriously I need help. What do I do?

Back
Top Bottom