New Tank Population ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank, aqua-tech Regent power filter, bubble wand along back of tank, air pump for 5-15 gallon tank, two plastic plants, two live plants, one sunken ship (about 5 inches long and 3 inches high). 2 neon tetras, 2 guppies, one unknown algae eater... may be Siamese algae eater. The algae eater looks like pics of the Siamese but the black stripe on his side does not have a clean edge on the top… the edge has black semicircles (like if you were to place circles near the top of a black line so that just the top 1/4 of the circle was noticeable above the black line). He also has a line of black spots that runs along the top of his back.

I know that you have to have 1 gallon per inch of adult fish, but being new, I do not know how to gauge the size of how big the fish will be at adulthood.

I want to add a betta to the tank. So, I have a couple of questions.
1) How many gallons would 5 neon tetras take up?
2) I would like to have 5 neon tetras (I have read that is the minimum # you should have), the 2 guppies we currently have, 1 betta (I have read they can do well in a community tank with guppies and tetras), and the algae eater I have (which is about 2 ½ inches). Is the tank set up too small for these fish?
2a) If so, would finding a home for the algae eater and get something smaller allow me to have all the other fish?
3) The guppies love to go up and down in the bubbles of the bubble wand, but the tetras seem to move along with the current… is the bubble wand too much for them? Although, today they seemed to be edging closer to the wall of bubbles.
4) If it is okay for me to have the fish I want in the tank, will the bubble wand be too much for the betta?

I appreciate any input. :)
Regeth

I know that you have to have 1 gallon per inch of adult fish, but being new, I do not know how to gauge the size of how big the fish will be at adulthood.

Research your fish before you buy. Browse Petco or Petsmart even and they will tell you on the tag how large they get.

I want to add a betta to the tank.
NOOOO! Don't do it. Don't add bettas to any tank that has fish with fancy fins. They will attack your guppies especially!

I have read they can do well in a community tank with guppies
Not true, the guppies will likely become victims...

The guppies love to go up and down in the bubbles of the bubble wand
They guppies may like it, but bettas like still water. They don't care much for turbulence.

Basically, if you want a betta, get another tank to put him in. He'll be happier as will your other fish. :D

Sounds like a betta is definatly out. :cry:
We have had a betta (years ago) in a tank by itself. Upon reading that they did well in community, I was looking forward to being able to get another. I can see it is not meant to be.
Thanks!! I would have hated to have someone get hurt.

Agreed that bettas and guppies are not a good match. But Bettas do not necessarily hate bubbles in the tank. I kept mine in a 10 gallon community for awhile and even though one side of the tank is quite calm he seemed to liek the filter output to play in. And now in his own 5 gallon tank he spends a good portion of the day playing in the bubbles from the box filter.

Back
Top Bottom