New tank possibly for cherry red shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a 5g would be better to . You could have lile 50 shrimp instead of a few and walmart and other stores have a 5g starter kit with internal filters for $25 and $0.97 site to store shipping online if they dont have it an for that matter the 10g starter set at walmart is $27.97... you could even upgrade your betta depending on his/her tank size already and if it started eating your shrimp

Think of it like this if you ha the choice to live in a small apartment or a roomy apartment for just alitle extra which would you prefer

Just so you all know, the OP is based in England..

We don't really have a "cheap" aquatics supplier, even Pets At Home charge a ton for a small simple tank.

Also, I could've easily recommended a tank, but seeing as how the OP wants advice on the the vase? being set up that's what I provided.

Yes they do shed, but if you're hinting that they should be removed then you shouldn't be giving advice on shrimp till you research a little first tbh.

As for how they will reach the tank bottom...

I had a 25 litre jar with a tiny opening, about 2" across, and I used some knitting needles and a wire coat hanger to arrange the plants/rocks.

The filter will sit perfectly in the middle, the bubbles will create water movement and it will need very little maintaining (plant maintenance mostly).

Pwc will be the same as they are now, a hose will reach the bottom and by placing some fine mesh over the end, you'll avoid sucking up shrimp that way.

People like to try new things, regular box aquariums can be quite boring really.

What maintenance do you think I would have to do if I carried out this set up? Also what does "Pwc" mean?

What maintenance do you think I would have to do if I carried out this set up? Also what does "Pwc" mean?

Maintenance would be really simple, it would be just changing out some water and topping it up to compensate for the evaporation.

PWC means Partial Water Change.

Basically changing a percentage of the tank water to lower the nitrate counts (in a cycled tank) or the ammo and nitrites in a cycling tank.

Just so you all know, the OP is based in England..

We don't really have a "cheap" aquatics supplier, even Pets At Home charge a ton for a small simple tank.

Also, I could've easily recommended a tank, but seeing as how the OP wants advice on the the vase? being set up that's what I provided.

If I were to go for a new tank which would you recommend? Here is a photo of it with some water and a fake plant in just to give a better idea. I've only put water in to the bottom section leaving a cap to create a large surface area, do you think if I did buy another tank for the shrimp there would be another type of fish etc that would be happy in here? (maybe 2 small goldfish?) or even my betta? His tank is small but he seems happy in there (it was made for betta's apparently) I'll add a photo of his tank too, at the moment it just has a filter and a fake plant in, i took out the gravel because he seemed to be catching his fins on it and they started curling up. I want to put a real plant in there for him any recommendations? (just trying to think of all the options) Sorry for so many questions and thanks everyone for the advice :)

Maintenance would be really simple, it would be just changing out some water and topping it up to compensate for the evaporation.

PWC means Partial Water Change.

Basically changing a percentage of the tank water to lower the nitrate counts (in a cycled tank) or the ammo and nitrites in a cycling tank.

That doesn't sound too hard :) So once I had the tank set up i wouldnt need to move any of the plants etc? And would I need a gravel cleaner still since I would be using sand?

Oops forgot to add the photos to the other post! :p Here is the tank part filled with water to get a better idea and my betta tank :)

Attachments

• 2013-05-24 11.32.23.jpg
    2013-05-24 11.32.23.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 2013-05-24 11.32.37.jpg
    2013-05-24 11.32.37.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-05-24 11.32.54.jpg
    2013-05-24 11.32.54.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 2013-05-24 11.33.18.jpg
    2013-05-24 11.33.18.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 85
If I were to go for a new tank which would you recommend? Here is a photo of it with some water and a fake plant in just to give a better idea. I've only put water in to the bottom section leaving a cap to create a large surface area, do you think if I did buy another tank for the shrimp there would be another type of fish etc that would be happy in here? (maybe 2 small goldfish?) or even my betta? His tank is small but he seems happy in there (it was made for betta's apparently) I'll add a photo of his tank too, at the moment it just has a filter and a fake plant in, i took out the gravel because he seemed to be catching his fins on it and they started curling up. I want to put a real plant in there for him any recommendations? (just trying to think of all the options) Sorry for so many questions and thanks everyone for the advice :)

Honestly the only thing I would put in this would be shrimp, Goldies require at least 30gals as they produce huge amounts of waste.

Even a betta wouldn't be very happy in such a small area, I had mine in a 20gal all by itself lol ^_^

Shrimp don't produce that much visible waste so gravel vac'ing wouldn't be necessary really (they do moult but that has to be left in)

If you wanna get a small tank, search on gumtree and you can get an aquastart 28litre tank (with lights and filter) for around £35!

I'd like to see the project finished but if you'd rather go with a conventional tank then I'd be happy to help you with that too ^_^

Honestly the only thing I would put in this would be shrimp, Goldies require at least 30gals as they produce huge amounts of waste.

Even a betta wouldn't be very happy in such a small area, I had mine in a 20gal all by itself lol ^_^

Shrimp don't produce that much visible waste so gravel vac'ing wouldn't be necessary really (they do moult but that has to be left in)

If you wanna get a small tank, search on gumtree and you can get an aquastart 28litre tank (with lights and filter) for around £35!

I'd like to see the project finished but if you'd rather go with a conventional tank then I'd be happy to help you with that too ^_^

Hmm! I really want to see the project too, I think I will go for the original idea with your recommendations :D If I end up having to upgrade then so be it but I do really want to try it :) I will go get all the equipment and set it up over the next few days and add pics as I go on to here :) Do you have any recommendations for plants? (and anything to make my betta happier in his tank?

Hmm! I really want to see the project too, I think I will go for the original idea with your recommendations :D If I end up having to upgrade then so be it but I do really want to try it :) I will go get all the equipment and set it up over the next few days and add pics as I go on to here :) Do you have any recommendations for plants? (and anything to make my betta happier in his tank?

Plants for the vase/jar thing? Lol

Erm I'd do with some Java Ferns if you can find them, maybe some crypts or Anubias nana.

They're all robust plants that can survive most tanks.

The first is java fern, the second is Anubias nana.

Attachments

• image-894715606.jpg
    image-894715606.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image-276478378.jpg
    image-276478378.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 83
Plants for the vase/jar thing? Lol

Erm I'd do with some Java Ferns if you can find them, maybe some crypts or Anubias nana.

They're all robust plants that can survive most tanks.

The first is java fern, the second is Anubias nana.

Oooh they're lovely :D Thank you so much :)

Substrate...

Well it really depends on what look you want.

If you're going with RCS, you should have a dark substrate as it will bring out their colours a lot more!

The plants I showed you can be attached to a hunk of rock and can be moved around the tank to suit the look you want so the substrate doesn't matter plant wise.

The biggest question you should ask yourself is sand or gravel?

Substrate...

Well it really depends on what look you want.

If you're going with RCS, you should have a dark substrate as it will bring out their colours a lot more!

The plants I showed you can be attached to a hunk of rock and can be moved around the tank to suit the look you want so the substrate doesn't matter plant wise.

The biggest question you should ask yourself is sand or gravel?

Hmm well i've read on other sites that gravel can be bad for them and sand is better since its softer and they like to sift through it? So maybe black sand all over the base then put the rocks with the plants on in the middle dipped section around the filter? What do you think?

Hmm well i've read on other sites that gravel can be bad for them and sand is better since its softer and they like to sift through it? So maybe black sand all over the base then put the rocks with the plants on in the middle dipped section around the filter? What do you think?

Black sand would look awesome!

The rich greens of the plants will help the tank really pop.

I've never heard of grave being bad for them, but I do know what certain types are better than others.

I think the idea you have with the filter being central and the plants ringed around it is a great on.

It'll give a lot of open space for the shrimp to roam around plus give them ample cover to avoid stress :)

Black sand would look awesome!

The rich greens of the plants will help the tank really pop.

I've never heard of grave being bad for them, but I do know what certain types are better than others.

I think the idea you have with the filter being central and the plants ringed around it is a great on.

It'll give a lot of open space for the shrimp to roam around plus give them ample cover to avoid stress :)

Yay! I think we have a plan! :D Shall I get a moss ball or 2 to go with the other plants aswell?

If you can get some Aegagropila linnaei (marimo moss balls) (they're actually a type of algae not moss!) that would be great!

You can leave them as balls or you can squish em a little and secure them to rocks so the shrimp can get to em.

They would proved some much needed food plus they add an extra dimension with the height of your tank.

If you can get some Aegagropila linnaei (marimo moss balls) (they're actually a type of algae not moss!) that would be great!

You can leave them as balls or you can squish em a little and secure them to rocks so the shrimp can get to em.

They would proved some much needed food plus they add an extra dimension with the height of your tank.

Okay! :D I'll post back here once I have an update, thanks again for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom