new tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend is setting up a new tank.

Parameters are
pH - 8.0
Ammo - .25ppm
Nitrites - 0.0ppm
Didn't test for nitrates because its too early. The question is we have a 36 gallon hexagon tank. Should we do a water change. If so how much. Like 5 gallons i think. But does there need to be some ammonia present to cycle a new tank.

Yes, there must be some food for the bacteria to feed on (ammonia).

Is this a fishless or 'fish in' cycle?

If FISHLESS get that ammonia up somewhere around 2-4ppm and kick back for a while.

If 'FISH IN' keep that ammonia, and nitrite, below 0.25ppm.

Test the source water for ammonia and nitrite so you are not killing yourself trying to lower the toxins when it not possible. Prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrite for about a day.

This a fish in cycle. So should we do a water change and try to eliminate the ammonia or will the fish be okay with .25ppm.

xsryman said:
This a fish in cycle. So should we do a water change and try to eliminate the ammonia or will the fish be okay with .25ppm.

IMO they'll be ok until it gets to. 50

Depending on your aquatic friends, ph 8.0 is really high unless you have Goldfish. However a high ph will make it hard to establish healthy bacteria in the filtration device. It needs to be in the 7.0 area, 6.8 is better for baterial growth. Bacteria needs to thrive in soft water.
A 36 gallon sir requires 1/3 of the amount of water replaced "every weekend" religously. You need an exterior filter like a fluval 400.
The ammonia level is ok again depending on your fish type, but that .25 is minimal.
If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to assist.
Thanks for useing this website.

Back
Top Bottom