New tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Workhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up my 46 gallon tank and have a few fish in it. I grew up with a large tank (200 gallons) and we had it as long as I could remember. Since it alway had fish in it, I totally missed the start up cycle. While researching what fish to get, I read up on the cycling info. Now I have a tank that has not cycled, but does have some fish in it. What is the best route to go to insured a healthy tank? I have 2 Gourami, 2 Rainbows, and 3 Neon & 1 Cardinal Tetras in the tank right now.

Also, when it comes to test kits, which are the best ones? I have a kit, but I want to make sure I have a good one.

Buy the AP Master FW test kit. You will need to keep your ammonia under .5ppm and then your nitrites under .5ppm as well. The only way to do that is to change water. Sometimes as much as 50% a day. You may want to take the fish back and do a fishless cycle. Otherwise I would go get yourself a python you are going to need it.

Welcome to AA!!!

:multi: :multi: multi: Welcome to AA, Workhorse! :multi: :multi: multi:
I also have a master kit, but I don't know the manufacturer. It's important to have a liquid test kit and not one with strips. With that small bioload, you may be able to cycle the tank with relatively few problems, but there will be lots of water changes in your future. As Rich stated, a fishless cycle is best for everyone, if you can bring back the fish, which isn't always possible. Personally, my favorite way to cycle a tank and have the benefits of fish right away is to get some established media from a friend's tank that has been healthy adn put it directly into the new filter.

Thanks for the welcome. My test results are looking ok. The ammonia is at .25 right now and the nitrites are at 0.

Is it worth getting some Bio-Spira?

http://www.fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html

Here's a good place to order it if you can't find it locally. IMHO, I'd do it just for peace of mind and speed. Like Menagerie said, you'll be doing a lot of water changes just to keep toxicity down. You're probably still ahead even with the cost of all that water, but your time is better spent enjoying your fish!

Welcome to AA!

If you are seeing ammonia early on, you can pretty much count on it just getting worse for the next week or so. It is possible to have enough fish to grow bacteria without detecting ammonia or nitrite, but the bioload has to be very low. My opinions on the topic are at:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0017.htm

If you can afford it, and it doesn't bother you to spend the money on in, and its available, I would try the biospira. If the Biospira works, it will save you a lot of aggravation in PWC's over the next two or three weeks. Other options are to reduce the fish load (take some back), or Take all of them back and go fishless. Otherwise, you will become the latest water change king, and a python would be really handy for those. And colonized biomedia, like Menagere points out, would be fantastic too.

You can also check to see if your low ammonia reading is from chloramines in the tap water, by testing your tap water with the ammonia test.

Back
Top Bottom