new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, after giving this more thought, I don't think it's the best idea. Sure, it will seed your new filter with the bacteria you need and it will work. However, your also just using up your new filter sponge in someone else's tank. Eventually these sponges break down and need to be replaced. So the best idea is to just have him donate a piece of his used sponge and place it your filter. Just tuck it behind the new sponge.

Sorry I'm not sure what the difference is as to whether what sponges they are? Why would one break down sooner than the other? Assuming you're using appropriate aquarium filter sponges (not kitchen sponges lol) they'll be fine and they'll literally last for years. I think either having him put your filter media into his filter (if he can fit it) or just run your filter onto his tank for a while would seed the filters. I'm not sure how well it would seed if you only left it on there for a week; the longer the better, 2 weeks at least IMO (3-4 is optimum). But if you did that and then started stocking SLOWLY and LIGHTLY and kept an eye on levels with your test kit (that you're going to buy soon ;)) and do water changes if anything spikes I think that would be fine.

What size tank again and what fish are you planning on getting?

125 gallon. I plan on getting kuhlis and 2 pair of fork tail blue eyes.
Also maybe a school of about 12 Cardinal Tetras.

125 gallon. I plan on getting kuhlis and 2 pair of fork tail blue eyes.
Also maybe a school of about 12 Cardinal Tetras.

Wow that's a large tank! Which is good! You could add some seeded media and then if you wanted start with the Tetras. In a tank that size they probably won't produce too much ammonia too quickly. Then wait 2-3 weeks; if you don't see any ammonia or nitrites in that time (or if you do see them and then they disappear and stay at 0 for at least 5 days) then start adding 1-2 more of the larger fish at a time and repeat the process.

So are you saying put in the seeded media and then put in the tetras immediately? I know I'm asking again but I'm wanting to do the best thing.

I'm not too familiar with those filters but it looks like it uses the biowheel and some sort of cartridge, right? Instead of using the cartridges you can try to get some sponges or filter pads or whatever is seeded that he uses and try to stick it into the filter if it fits. Don't do this and then go out of town though; the bacteria from the seeded filters would need an ammonia source to survive, so you'd have to add some fish right away.

You could also run at least one of your filters onto his filter for a couple of weeks to help seed it then when your'e ready to start, put it on your tank and start stocking lightly (the tetras).

If you do go the fish route, I'd get an API Master test kit and test the water daily for toxins and do water changes as needed until the tank can handle the fish waste (ammonia) on its own (e.g. you grow enough bacteria).

OR you could do a totally fishless cycle with pure ammonia.

Sorry I hope this isn't confusing. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom