new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I did is let it sit for a few weeks. After two weeks a dropped a cocktail shrimp until an outside layer of like good settled on it the I took it out after two weeks and tried a fishy...it died so I waited another week with the dead fish........and added another fish and it was fine

A fishless cycle with pure ammonia is the best, cleanest most consistent way. If you can get your hands on some seeded filter material from an established tank to add to your filter it will speed things along. There's a fishless cycle guide in my signature (new empty tank) that'll guide you through the steps. Good luck!

I've had my tank sitting empty since early October, now I'm waiting on the filters and heaters, now im being told its gonna be another month!? There has to be another way without the long drawn out procedure when I talk to my gfs dad he has never done a fishless cycle and his fish are healthy as can be.

It takes time man. U can't rush it. You can try with fishes but the tank nitrates need to go down and time is the best way. I started mine last October and by November it was good to go

Unfortunately letting a tank sit doesn't cycle it. You need to grow proper bacteria in the tank that will remove the toxins (ammonia) your fish will put out through waste, otherwise they swim in toxins. The bacteria need an ammonia source to grow and feed on (hence using pure ammonia) and the bacteria need time to multiply.

If you know someone with a tank see if they can give you some media from their filters, that will speed up the process. You can also do a fish-in cycle (it's the other link in my signature: new tank with fish) but it takes dedication to test the tank daily and do water changes as needed (often daily, sometimes more than once per day) for 1-3 months until the tank can keep the toxins away on its own.

I started my 29 gallon with a bacteria starter kit, and had no issues. I also bought some cheap zebra fish to act as suicide fish for their source of ammonia. Not one of them died and my levels never spiked. in the end, I just sold the zebras back to the LFS. But you need to buy a good test kit to keep checking the levels of nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia.

It also seems like you need to educate yourself as to how this cycle works.

-Fish create waste.
-waste creates ammonia
-Bacteria breaks down the ammonia into Nitrites
-Another type of bacteria breaks down the nitrites into nitrates.
-Water changes removes most of the nitrates.

This is why people like to use cocktail shrimp because any decaying matter creates ammonia, which starts the cycling process.

I wouldn't just wait a week and add fish to see if the water is ready. you should TEST TEST TEST!

When your nitrites equal zero, your ammonia equals zero and your nitrates are below 20, then your tank is ready for fish.

My only issues with a fishless cycle is time needed to do this and all the technicality's. Its a big scientific process that looks like a foreign language to me.

well, IMO, fish keeping is a hobby of patience. Your best results will occur in every situation due to your patience.

As far as the technicalities, the process is fairly easy once you understand what's going on. Which I tried to lay out the basics in my last post.

Do you have a water testing kit?

It can be daunting at first. I would recommend ordering an API freshwater master test kit as soon as possible. You can find them for around $20 on eBay.

Once you've read the directions all these
numbers will begin to make sense.

As far as not needing a test kit at this point, is wrong. This is the time where you want to be testing your water the most to know when the tank has cycled.

If you'd like to avoid the long process of fish less cycling. Do you know anyone with an established tank?

Well my tank is empty now, still waiting on my filters and heaters to arrive. Then I have a week of vacation to Florida. So after the end of the year, I'll get started on everything. My lfs sells the api test kit for like $17. I'll go pick one up as soon as possible, and my gfs dad has several tanks, FW and SW. Though he used BB in a bottle to cycle most of his tanks. Would this pose a problem to readings and all that?

If I was you, I would take a piece of his filter and stuff it into your filter and stock immediately. Done.

His old filter media will seed your new filter with the bacteria you need. but you will have to stock immediately to give the bacteria an ammonia source.

Okay when you say immediately you mean right then and there? Also I bought two penguin power filters with bio-wheels. What exactly do these do?

yes otherwise the bacteria in the filter will die off because it has no ammonia to feed on.

This is the method I used to get my second tank up and running. But I highly recommend getting a liquid test kit to keep an eye on the levels. You may have a mini cycle, but as long as you are using Prime for your water changes, you should be fine.

Thank you for the info but I still have another question. How well would it work if I had him stuff two appropriately sized sponges in his filters to collect bacteria while I'm out of town. Would this work?

xmattlongx said:
Thank you for the info but I still have another question. How well would it work if I had him stuff two appropriately sized sponges in his filters to collect bacteria while I'm out of town. Would this work?

Actually, after giving this more thought, I don't think it's the best idea. Sure, it will seed your new filter with the bacteria you need and it will work. However, your also just using up your new filter sponge in someone else's tank. Eventually these sponges break down and need to be replaced. So the best idea is to just have him donate a piece of his used sponge and place it your filter. Just tuck it behind the new sponge.

Back
Top Bottom