New tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I've recently decided I want to own a few freshwater fish but I know very little about fish. I have bought a 3ft x 1ft tank but it has no lid (I'll get one before I put fish into it). I have a few questions & would appreciate if anyone could answer them... :) Thank you xx

- Which filter system would be best for my tank?
- How many freshwater fish can comfortably live in the tank?
- How much gravel do I need & what is the best type to use?
- Can I get algae eaters & if so which would be the best to get?

Thank you xx

Hey all, I've recently decided I want to own a few freshwater fish but I know very little about fish. I have bought a 3ft x 1ft tank but it has no lid (I'll get one before I put fish into it). I have a few questions & would appreciate if anyone could answer them... :) Thank you xx - Which filter system would be best for my tank? - How many freshwater fish can comfortably live in the tank? - How much gravel do I need & what is the best type to use? - Can I get algae eaters & if so which would be the best to get? Thank you xx

1. A Hang on Back filter (HOB)
2. Depends what sort of fish, best advice tell us what you'd like in a fish and we can give you suggestions
3. Look at pool filter sand and around 1/2" deep
4. You can get otos or a Bristlenose catfish or a few certain plecos

One final word of advice, never ever listen to someone trying to sell you fish. They may seem knowledgable but most likely they'll just be talking crap.

Your New Tank

Hey all,

I've recently decided I want to own a few freshwater fish but I know very little about fish. I have bought a 3ft x 1ft tank but it has no lid (I'll get one before I put fish into it). I have a few questions & would appreciate if anyone could answer them... :) Thank you xx

- Which filter system would be best for my tank?
- How many freshwater fish can comfortably live in the tank?
- How much gravel do I need & what is the best type to use?
- Can I get algae eaters & if so which would be the best to get?

Thank you xx

Hello Par...

Good questions. You'll spend as much time going through all the different answers as you will setting up the tank. HOB filters are worth looking at. I use Hagen Aquaclear.

You can have 6 to 8 small fish to start. If you like "Livebearing" fish, then Guppies and Platys are easy to keep. If you prefer "Egglayers", then Zebra Danios, Rasboras and White Clouds are hardy. You'd be smart to add some bottom feeders like Corydoras too. Research these fish and see what you think.

Standard pea-size gravel is fine. You don't need anything fancy. About 3 inches deep throughout the tank is enough.

As far as algae eaters are concerned, I'd recommend Ramshorn snails. They're great algae controllers.

Have fun!

B

Back
Top Bottom