New Tank Start up Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi
I just got done re commissioning my 12 year old 44 gal pentagon tank for my daughter who chose african cichlids for said tank. We only have 5 cichlids for now and wont buy anymore until the tank cycles. In the past I've used chemi pure for chemical filtration and never really understood the do's and dont's of a full biological filtration system and cycling the tank. The tank has only been online for 6 days now. Below I am giving you all of the information i can think of followed by my questions.

Tank Readings using Tetratest Laborett test set
-Temperature = 80 degrees
-Ammonia = 0.25 mg/l
-PH = 7.0
-Nitrite = <0.3
-Hardness = very soft
-Water clarity = cloudy (However I can see through to the back of the tank)

Canister Filter And Media stack & Under-gravel filter
-Canister Filter = Eheim 2215
-Canister Filter intake = Far corner of Tank
-Canister Filter Output = Opposite side of intake even with the surface
(Using the Spray Bar)
-1st Media layer = 2 inches of Eheim Enfimech 1 (ceramic tubes)
-2nd Media layer = Eheim blue coarse filter pad
-3rd Media layer = 3 inches of Eheim substrat pro (7 to 11mm bio balls)
-4th media layer = 2 5-oz bags of chemi pure
-5th media layer = 1.5 inches of filter floss
-Under-gravel filter = For pentagon tank using 1 up-tube with an Eheim
Aquaball 1212 as the powerhead.

Tank info
-44 gallon pentagon
-Hood is utilizing 2 18" fluorescent Lights (on time about 12hrs a day)
-200 watt submersible heater

Fish and Feeding
-Five 1.5 to 2 inch african cichlids
-One 2.5 inch dwarf gourami
-Daily feedings = 3 times a day

Questions
1. Is it OK to use chemi pure in the filter the way i have it packed?
2. Are the tank readings OK and are they suitable for the cichlids?
3. How long does it take for the tank to cycle?

Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated by myself and my 5 year old cichlid lover.

Thanx :confused:

I typed this up while bored and tipsy last night. It may be of help to you.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

1. Yes, but you should not need to run it.
2. You'll need to stay up on water changes. The Ammonia and Nitrite will continually rise and at levels above .25 (some say .1) can be detrimental to the health of fish.
3. That varies... With your current load, I'd guestimate 2-3 more weeks.

I typed this up while bored and tipsy last night. It may be of help to you.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

1. Yes, but you should not need to run it.
2. You'll need to stay up on water changes. The Ammonia and Nitrite will continually rise and at levels above .25 (some say .1) can be detrimental to the health of fish.
3. That varies... With your current load, I'd guestimate 2-3 more weeks.
HN1
Thanks for the info. I'm off to get a new vessel for the water changes, something large enough for a 50% change. I do have other questions regarding the cichlids but i think i'll post that in the cichlid section.

Thanx again

I agree with HN1, but have a couple things to add. First of all, you should definitely cut back on your feeding while the tank cycles. Less food = less waste and that is really important during a cycle. Your fish will act like they are starving, but they will be fine. Feed lightly once a day, and you can even skip a couple days a week. Once the tank has cycled, you can feed a little more.

Second, I really don't think that the dwarf gourami will survive for long with your cichlids. It may work for now, but once your cichlids grow large enough to hit sexual maturity, they will become much more aggressive and probably kill the DG.

Good luck with your new fish!

HN1 that is a great write up i made the same mistake with my 10 gallon but i only lost 2 neon tetras. Its been 3 and a half weeks now my arms are tired from water changes InfernoST good luck i think you will be fine u dont have that many fish just listen to severum mama and dont over feed im feeding my 10 gallon every other day until my nitrate level rises

Back
Top Bottom