new tank, water changes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I assume this topic has been done to death but it just like some advice on the subject.

Set up my tank a month ago (90litres), media running, with plants in but no fish. I added 3 sword tails a week later and had left it running for the past 3 weeks. I haven't done any water changes yet. I tested my water today ph is 7, Ammonia is 0, N02 is 0 and N03 is showing between 0-20.

Planning on doing a partial water change (and gravel clean) tomorrow but im seeing so many conflicting answers on how much I should be changing. Could someone point me in the right direction with the info I have given above (or any other info u require)

Do not clean the gravel since some of the good bacteria sit at the bottom if you want can add some zebra danios they are very hardy fishes and inexpensive and if they do die which I highly doubt you'll know if you tank it's ready

You can change the water but no more that 25% Boy volume

Do not clean the gravel since some of the good bacteria sit at the bottom if you want can add some zebra danios they are very hardy fishes and inexpensive and if they do die which I highly doubt you'll know if you tank it's ready
Yes do a gravel vac. The ammount of bacteria is minute compared to that of your filter media
You can change the water but no more that 25% Boy volume
You can change as much water as you like. You can even change it all. It's a water change. Don't take it lightly. Your fish depend on you

Edit: Oops. Ignore that first part. I didn't see that you had nitrAtes. How much ammonia did you dose and how long did it take to clear to 0? If 4ppm within 24 hours I think you are cycled. Doing a gravel vacuum is fine, most of the bacteria reside in the filter media, and doing a WC to get the NitrAtes to 0 wouldn't hurt. Pristine water is the best for your fish :)

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Ok, so for starts did you add ammonia? To properly cycle an aquarium you need to build up two different kinds of bacteria. One that converts ammonia to Nitrites, and one that converts Nitrites to NitrAtes. If there is no ammonia source, these bacteria will not grow. Ammonia is given off by fish through breathing, waste production, and excess food. It will quickly kill them unless the bacteria are there to convert it. Nitrite is also toxic in low doses which is why you need a good population of both bacteria. NitrAte can only be removed via water changes (WC), but is much less toxic and can be tolerated up to 20ppm by most fish. Weekly maintenance WC's will keep your fish happy. I highly recommend you read the article below to learn more.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

His tank is cycled if its reading 20ppm Trates

And you sir should probably run and do a gravel vacuum if your giving that advice. Gravel vacuums are 100% necessary in every single aquarium because that's where the fish poo and old food settles. That's where nitrates live. I would test your water for nitrates ASAP

I vacuum the gravel but once a month and not too deeply I've had two tank for over 2 yrs so dnt tell me how to take care of fishes

Look I had a lot of shrimps and snail that actually live off of that ok

I vacuum the gravel but once a month and not too deeply I've had two tank for over 2 yrs so dnt tell me how to take care of fishes

Look I had a lot of shrimps and snail that actually live off of that ok

I have had aquariums for 15 years. I know what I'm talking about. Gravel vacuums are necessary. I'd you don't do it that often that's on you. Nitrates build up when you don't do them and then your here listing a thread about why you have nitrates of 200+ppm. Please stop telling people to not do gravel vacs

I'm not saying never gravel but don't go crazy to the point that you empty out your tank and scrub everything vacuuming it's good but I would do once a month and 25 % water changes

I'm not saying never gravel but don't go crazy to the point that you empty out your tank and scrub everything vacuuming it's good but I would do once a month and 25 % water changes

Well yeah I definetly agree. Please leave your tanks in 1 piece. Just a simple hover about 1" from sandy substrate and for gravel get down in there and suck that poo out Haha

Well, I guess if that's what you do, it's what you do. We all love our fish and try to do what is best for them. I think jwh's point is that most researched based information out there suggests that not vacuuming the gravel is not ideal, and might be deadly for more sensitive fish. Because there are a lot of people new to the aquarium world on this forum, it might affect their tanks negatively if you tell them not to vacuum.

edit: +1 to not deep vacuuming sand! :D lol that would be a mess!

Well, I guess if that's what you do, it's what you do. We all love our fish and try to do what is best for them. I think jwh's point is that most researched based information out there suggests that not vacuuming the gravel is not ideal, and might be deadly for more sensitive fish. Because there are a lot of people new to the aquarium world on this forum, it might affect their tanks negatively if you tell them not to vacuum.

edit: +1 to not deep vacuuming sand! :D lol that would be a mess!

Haha thank you venymae! You said it better then I ever could

The other thing is, depending on how heavily stocked your tank is, different tanks need different water change levels. I do 50% weekly on my heavy tank but only 30% on my light tank.

The other thing is, depending on how heavily stocked your tank is, different tanks need different water change levels. I do 50% weekly on my heavy tank but only 30% on my light tank.

Yes that too god why can't I find these words. On my heavy planted tanks I change around 50% water every 2-3 weeks. There is a balance in getting everything perfect. Finding that balance is what takes time

I assume this topic has been done to death but it just like some advice on the subject.

Set up my tank a month ago (90litres), media running, with plants in but no fish. I added 3 sword tails a week later and had left it running for the past 3 weeks. I haven't done any water changes yet. I tested my water today ph is 7, Ammonia is 0, N02 is 0 and N03 is showing between 0-20.

Planning on doing a partial water change (and gravel clean) tomorrow but im seeing so many conflicting answers on how much I should be changing. Could someone point me in the right direction with the info I have given above (or any other info u require)

You should gravel vac every week. Change at least 30% water at least once a week and clean your filter pads in removed tank water once every 3 weeks.

Aquarium maintenance is extremely important and will prevent you fish becoming susceptible to disease.

Back
Top Bottom