new tank with bubbles gathering on top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have a new (update: freshwater) 120g tank. i have it set up with water and just starting fishless cycle yesterday. since i have filled it, bubbles have gathered at the top. it seems to do it less when I add water (about a gallon a day from evaporation). It has been worse for about 2-3 days. it is foamy looking. I will check the intake tube to make sure there are no leaks and I don't think the ammonia i am using is the problem (it is clear ammonia and no foamy bubbles are formed when I shake it).

the accumulation get worse as the water level goes down and just a little bit. Can anyone help me out? Everything else seems to be really good.

i will try to send pictures later.
have sunsun 304B canister filter

One note. I have two pieces of wood in the tank. I presoaked them for 2-3 months outside in a large plastic and clean wheel barrow. I did clean them off the best I could before I put them it, though i have noticed a little "fur" on them

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Could it be from the salt you are using ? Like a protein type of thing??

Surface skimmer on top of the water an option = maybe?

Could it be from the salt you are using ? Like a protein type of thing??

Surface skimmer on top of the water an option = maybe?

sorry i forgot to mention it is freshwater. the return does have a skimmer

Got it fixed. The intake for the sun sun 304b comes in pieces. They are not exactly very strong connections. Turns out one of the connections was not good and it was sucking air and it got worse as the water went down.

I just put it back together and closed the skimmer for a while and the bubbles disappeared quickly

Sorry I should have noticed it was in freshwater forum and not salt. Don't know where my head was at. Good to hear you got it

Sorry I should have noticed it was in freshwater forum and not salt. Don't know where my head was at. Good to hear you got it

It was in the saltwater. The moderators moved it. That was my screw up.

Back
Top Bottom