New tank with rapid death rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kingzilla said:
So I got sad news earlier from my gf... Apparently one of my zebras got sucked in by the filter and was stuck to the water intake and died. It's a Tetra Whisper EX20, how can I prevent fish from getting stuck like this again? Also, as a beta will end up in this tank, how can I stop the filter from producing so much current throughout the tank?

I'm sorry but a healthy fish should not get stuck on the intake. I've even seen some fry swim away from them... and once the nitrites appear, it just means more water changes... You can put a sponge on the intake or attach it to the part that the water flows out of.
As well as current, you should keep in mind that they are labyrinth fish and there can't be a lot of surface agitation.

How's you liquid kit came in yet?

Teshi said:
Try adding a pre-filter sponge. I just went to my LFS and got one. Its really kind of nice too because when you do your water change you can take it off and rinse it. It helps cut down on all the poop and extra food from getting into the filter.

Isn't that what the filters for? If you don't rinse it, they can get so clogged that it can't suck water in

i would imagine your filter is fine for you fish. what was the size of your tank again - 20 gallon?

I think hobgob is right - probably a weak fish. you are still having issues... could have just been that one fish, but if you see anyone else having problems do another water change. clean fresh water is the best for your fish.

test kit soon??
so happy your guys are still alive - how many days now?

yes, it's 20gal and this is day 4 for my zebras
today is payday but as I have plans tonight with a very tight schedule, I can't go the the store so I will buy the master kit tomorrow after work.
I am doing water changes everyday to keep ammo down (and yes, I factored a water change into my plans, don't worry)

I have the master test kit and my aquarium keeps testing identical to my tap water for ammo, NO2, NO3, and pH
the results are:
pH- 7.8
Ammo- 0.25ppm
NO2- 0ppm
NO3(nitrate)- 5ppm

I'm also down to one fish, but on the bright side, he has been with me for exactly 7 days. One died sometime during the night, I noticed a red mark on it's tail yesterday and it was staying near the bottom, maybe the other fish bit him?

Looking good! Maybe this guy will hang on there for the long haul. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom