New Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxMWxx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am a new member and already introduced myself in the introduction area, but a quick overview is that I have two new one week old tanks. I perform 10 % water changes every other day and dipstick test the tanks (ph, nitrite, nitrate, etc) nightly. Any other maintenance that I should perform? Algae scrubbing, etc? Everything seems to be doing well... My 2 tanks are as follows...

10 gal
3 barbs (2 tigers and 1 red glass)

5 gal
2 guppies (small tuxedo)
1 gourami

Just to let you know, test strips are highly inaccurate. If you want accuracy you'll need a good liquid test kit (ie. API Liquid test kit. Also, instead of 10% every other day, why not 25-50% every weekend? Algae scrubbing is only necessary if you see algae in the tank and I would recommend a magnetic algae scraper if you can get one. Those brushes can scratch even glass, and magnetic ones are really cool even just to watch slide back and forth. lol Congrats on the tanks btw. May we see some pics :)

you can get bad test's on the test strips as aquarum1 has said get the API LIQUID TEST KIT

+1 on the liquid test kit and you may need to get a siphon to clean the substrate

yah i got a siphon to clean gravel and for water changes... I'll def look into the liquid tests thanks!

Back
Top Bottom