New Tanks: 240l And Biube - Advice Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grholden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

New to the forum :)

Just re-set up a biUbe that I had previously used and also just got a 240L Juwel Rio. Both are currently going through 'wait and see' fishless cycling.

At the time of writing this post (Sunday 4th November, 9pm-ish), it looks like things are really starting to happen with the 240L, but just getting going with the BiUbe (which, admittedly, was set up well after).

Fishless Cycle Readings

There are tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet for each tank.

I'd be grateful for any feedback on either tank - just what I should be doing and looking out for really. Been following the excellent advice given in this post

Thanks,

grholden

Just taken a PH reading of about 9! Is that usual!?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice relating to my (strange!) readings – I think this process has stalled or something?

Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 11.17.25.jpg

As you can see, my niTRITES and niTRATES stayed pretty constantly for over a week (from around about 31st October to 9th November) at 5ppm each. This is despite ammonia being topped up and reducing accordingly. I started to test pH as I was told to do that and you can see the results.

Yesterday I was told to do a 90% water change, so I re-tested everything 30 minutes after that and my nitrates SHOT UP!? Is that normal? I added the correct amount of dechlorinator afterwards.

Just tested again this morning (approximately 12 hours after the water change) and you can see my readings (ammonia 4ppm, niTRITES 5ppm, niTRATES 20 ppm and pH 7.5).

I really am not too sure where I’m at now – I had good, expected readings at one point, but now it looks like things have gone weird?

Any advice is really appreciated,

grholden

ammo/nitrite levels of 5ppm or more can stall or even start to kill off bb as it becomes toxic even for them.
I'd do another big water change (80-90%) and see where your levels lie after that.

ammo/nitrite levels of 5ppm or more can stall or even start to kill off bb as it becomes toxic even for them.
I'd do another big water change (80-90%) and see where your levels lie after that.

Thanks for your response - I only did the big water change yesterday, do you advise doing another one so soon?

Tested our tap water too and it is quite high (40ppm) in niTRATES. Well, at least I think that's quite high?

If you did a 90% water change and nitrItes are still 5+ try to do another large water change and get nitrites down to a readable level on the chat (I'm assuming you're using the API kit?). Your nitrites have been high for over a week (which is normal) and your PH looks like it's starting to drop; sometimes high nitrites for a while can stall things and if you can get them to a readable level on the chart it'll be easier to see how high they've risen once you dose again. The nitrite phase is the longest and can take about 3 weeks on average so you might be halfway there. So your tap has 40 nitrAte? If so I'm wondering why your tank's nitrate didn't show that from the beginning. Try redoing the test on your tap water; assuming you're using the API kit be sure to shake and bank both bottles for 30 seconds and the test tube for a full minute (wait 5 minutes before you take the reading) and be sure you add the bottles in the correct order. The nitrate test is the most finicky and if not done correctly it can cause false readings. If your nitrates are indeed 40 out of the tap that is at borderline levels for fish but there are ways around it, just double-check the test first.

Thanks for your kind response - yes, I am using the API kit.

I only did my water change on the 9th November (2 days ago), do you recommend doing another one again so soon, yes?

Sorry, I tested my tap water again yesterday and it came out as 5, not 40 - how weird, I am SURE that I did it correctly the first time though. Bizarre! Sorry for misleading you.

Your tap water may have different levels if the plumbing is going wonky somewhere along the line. Not a very scientific answer I'm afraid, just guessing. Keep checking your baseline tap levels?

I'd say yes, do another full water change. Since your nitrIte are still 5+ after a 90% change and your PH is starting to drop a bit that tells me the nitrites are very high. Try another full water change then wait a couple of hours and test nitrite again, try to get it to something readable on the test kit. Then hold off on dosing ammonia today and start dosing again tomorrow at the time you usually dose, then 24 hours after that let us know what the tank's test results are.

Sorry for my late response - been swamped with work!

I actually haven't had time for the water change as yet, so not done that since the last time I posted, however I have taken the following readings now since the last time we spoke. Just recorded a VERY high niTRATEs reading and one my lowest niTRITE readings.

This is good right?

Just topped ammonia back up to 2ppm.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer :)

Back
Top Bottom