new thread on fish-in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nimo said:
Some one else have to jump in on that one all my tanks are gravel substrate, sorry.

Lol its okay, I started to read that and i thought you were telling me that someone had to jump in the tank Hahaha

Retested my water this morning and heres the results i got
pH 7.6
HR pH 7.8
Ammonia .50ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

What is going on???? 2 days ago i had Nitrates and now i have none but my ammonia has risen??? i feel like im goin in reverse here :(

With the beginning of your cycle before how high did your ammonia get, you could have started with a mini cycle and now getting ready to do the big cycle. I had one of my tanks do that. Use the Prime and keep up with water changes. Don't vac the substrate except once a month because you will remove bacteria that you need if kept too clean in the beginning

Nimo said:
With the beginning of your cycle before how high did your ammonia get, you could have started with a mini cycle and now getting ready to do the big cycle. I had one of my tanks do that. Use the Prime and keep up with water changes. Don't vac the substrate except once a month because you will remove bacteria that you need if kept too clean in the beginning

The highest my ammonia has ever gotten was 2ppm but i was doing 50%+ water changes everyday

Nimo said:
Did you show nitrites last time if so how high? And with out looking back thru thread do you have live plants?

No, 0ppm nitrites and yes I do have live plants

I guess im just gonna continuously do water changes and adding Conditioner until my numbers are back to where i need them. I dont understand it but oh well. :/

If you never showed nitrites before your tank did not cycle so that is what is going on now, just keep up with your water changes, nitrites should show soon then your nitrates will climb back up. After this round you should be fully cycled. don't be surprised to watch ammonia to climb as high as 5ppm even with daily water changes then the nitrites will start and go high your nitrates will go really high. You haven't lost a battle but still fighting the war so to say, just hang in there.

Nimo said:
If you never showed nitrites before your tank did not cycle so that is what is going on now, just keep up with your water changes, nitrites should show soon then your nitrates will climb back up. After this round you should be fully cycled. don't be surprised to watch ammonia to climb as high as 5ppm even with daily water changes then the nitrites will start and go high your nitrates will go really high. You haven't lost a battle but still fighting the war so to say, just hang in there.

I've showed nitrites before tho which is why its weird

I am kinda thinking that maybe tank didn't cycle all the way. It did a mini cycle and now it probly will do the big cycle

I am kinda thinking that maybe tank didn't cycle all the way. It did a mini cycle and now it probly will do the big cycle

Okay, well im doing another 50% water change as we speak, so ill just keep monitoring the situation. Thanks!!

Well for the past week my tank has had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates... scratching my head... it is a planted tank so maybe it is cycled but the plants are absorbing all the nitrates??

You could possibly had some dead plant matter in there some wherethat spiked the ammonia. one of my tanks I have to do pwc twice a week if I try to wait for a week it will spike ammonia. But that is a cichlid tank that is over stocked to control aggression. At very minimum it gets twice a week pwc but if I have time it gets a small water change every day.
And yes if your tank is heavily planted it can show zero nitrate.

Nimo said:
You could possibly had some dead plant matter in there some wherethat spiked the ammonia. one of my tanks I have to do pwc twice a week if I try to wait for a week it will spike ammonia. But that is a cichlid tank that is over stocked to control aggression. At very minimum it gets twice a week pwc but if I have time it gets a small water change every day.
And yes if your tank is heavily planted it can show zero nitrate.

8 plants in a 180g tank doesn't sound heavily stocked, is it??

1 jungle val
1 other val(don't remember the name)
2 anacharis
4 crypt spiralis

No thats not heavily planted. For now as long as your readings are good, just keep an eye on it. You tank could have just had a hiccup. It is not uncommon in newer tanks up to a year old.

Yeah I guess I'll just keep testing and record everything, I just hope nothing bad happens to my plants if there's 0 nitrates

You might have to get some plant food to add to your tank. I don't know the names of them but there are several out there that are fish friendly. I have live plants in 3 of my tanks but have never had to buy any food for them do I don't know what to tell you to get in that product. My nitrates are almost always zero and my plants do fine.
Forgot yes always keep a record of your tests and water changes, that way when you do have a problem you have your tank history to look back on. I have a binder that has a section in it for all 7 of my tanks with daily test readings.

Nimo said:
You might have to get some plant food to add to your tank. I don't know the names of them but there are several out there that are fish friendly. I have live plants in 3 of my tanks but have never had to buy any food for them do I don't know what to tell you to get in that product. My nitrates are almost always zero and my plants do fine.

Oh okay, well I'll look into it I guess :) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom