Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to Aquariums

Hello everybody, my name is Kaidalen.

I just bought a Fuval 32L tank, and Its for tropical fish, I set up the heater on the outside of the tank (how it says on the instructions) set it to 28C but I don't see how the thermo is going to heat up the water? also for some reason the light that comes with the Fuval tank is not working when plugged in, its a new tank. Its a Fluval curve 32. is there a way to change the light if its busted? also help on the temp as well as i dont see how its going to heat the water. Thanks, ATM I am doing a cycling.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the light unit doesnt work return everything and exchange. Just make sure you have set it up properly first though.

Are you mistakenly thinking the thermometer is a heater? Its a black strip that sticks on the outside of the tank. The Fluval Curve doesnt come with a heater, you have to buy one separately if you want to do tropical rather than temperate fish and they go on the inside of the tank in the water.

What are your stocking plans? 32 litres is a very small tank and will limit your options.

Do you know how to cycle a tank? Its more than just adding some products and running it for a few days.

Edit: Also this is posted in saltwater/reef. Are you really proposing a saltwater tank? Thats a whole other world of difficulty especially for a novice in what would be a very small tank for a saltwater set up.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I know how to cycle a tank, but heres my question a different one, how can you read the thermo, marina sticker that tells you the temp of the tank? its just a black strip that you put outside of the tank, how do you read it, as it its not a usual thermo
Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
If the light unit doesnt work return everything and exchange. Just make sure you have set it up properly first though.

Are you mistakenly thinking the thermometer is a heater? Its a black strip that sticks on the outside of the tank. The Fluval Curve doesnt come with a heater, you have to buy one separately if you want to do tropical rather than temperate fish and they go on the inside of the tank in the water.

What are your stocking plans? 32 litres is a very small tank and will limit your options.

Do you know how to cycle a tank? Its more than just adding some products and running it for a few days.

Edit: Also this is posted in saltwater/reef. Are you really proposing a saltwater tank? Thats a whole other world of difficulty especially for a novice in what would be a very small tank for a saltwater set up.

I apologise no its not a salt water tank i just put it in the forums that said getting started. Im sorry.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaidalen View Post
I know how to cycle a tank, but heres my question a different one, how can you read the thermo, marina sticker that tells you the temp of the tank? its just a black strip that you put outside of the tank, how do you read it, as it its not a usual thermo
The temperature on those stick on thermometers is read by looking at the strip, the temperature is indicated by the relevant number "lighting" up a colour. Its pretty obvious what the temperature reading is, see my photo.

You are correct they can be affected by air temperature, but generally they are considered accurate enough for an aquarium temperture. If you are worried get another type of aquarium thermometer. I use battery powered digital thermometers also, but there are also the hang on glass types with a liquid display. I tend to find at most half a degree difference betwern the stick on type and a digital type.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210123_113043.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	319450

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com