New to aquariums and have some cycling questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
My set up:
- 6gal aquarium that contain: 2 gouramis', and 1 black skirt tetra. I also have 2 plants.

I'm about 2 weeks into a fish-in cycling. My ammonia level this morning was about 2ppm, my nitrite level was about 4ppm, my nitrate level was about 10ppm, my water temperature was 80F, and my pH was about 7.8.

My questions:
1. Since I'm doing fish-in cycling, should I do a partial water change since the nitrite level is pretty high? I get differing opinions on this. Some people say to leave the water alone for a month, and some people say to change it because the ammonia and nitrite levels are too high.

2. Is it okay to add plants while im cycling?

3. Is it okay to add a co2 system (for the plants) while im cycling?

4. I'm using filtered water in my tank. The pH in my aquarium was 7.8, but when I tested the water right out of the water purifier, the pH was 6.8. Is the swing in my pH caused by the high level of nitrite in my tank? Also, the kH in my water is really low. Can this cause it too? If so, how can I cure really low kH?

5. I was told that a fish in cycle should take about 4-6 weeks. By the time the cycling is over, I have to change my water filter. How do I change the filters without removing all the good bacteria that's grown during the cycling?

I would do a partial water change, high ammonia and nitrite levels are toxic to the fish.

Yes! By all means, do water changes. The combination of the small tank size and overcrowding is putting your fish in mortal danger. Do as many PWCs as needed to get your ammonia AND nitrites below 0.25ppm as soon as possible. It will not hurt your cycle at all so long as you use dechlorinated water.

Answer to one: anyone telling you to not change the water for a month is either talking about a fishless cycle, or doesn't know what they're talking about. At 2 ppm ammonia and 4 ppm, you HAVE to do some serious water changes and get the numbers down to .25 or lower for both of them.

Answer to two: Yes.

Answer to three: technically, yes, I think, though probably unnecessary with just two plants, but in your case, see the note at the bottom.

Answer to four: pH in cycling tanks aren't always stable. Why are you using filtered water? It's rare that tap water isn't suitable for a freshwater tank.

Answer to five: don't change them. The instructions say to change them in order to make you buy more--there's no need to change them until they're falling apart completely.

Note: 6 gallons is not big enough for any of the fish you have in there.

Gouramis need bigger tanks--two dwarfs would need bare minimum a ten gallon, and most likely more, and I'd say most other species of gourami would need closer to a 29 gallon.

Black skirt tetras are a schooling fish and require at least 6 in a school. 6 gallons is not big enough for this.

If you have to stay with the 6 gallon, I would highly suggest you rehome/return the fish and look into fish more suitable for your tank. You could keep a betta, a dwarf puffer, a scarlet badis maybe, or a school of nano fish (ember tetras, Celestial Pearl Danios, chili rasboras, pygmy corys). You could also keep shrimp. If you want to keep the fish you have, you'll need to upgrade to a larger tank and add to your school of black skirts.

My set up:
- 6gal aquarium that contain: 2 gouramis', and 1 black skirt tetra. I also have 2 plants.

I'm about 2 weeks into a fish-in cycling. My ammonia level this morning was about 2ppm, my nitrite level was about 4ppm, my nitrate level was about 10ppm, my water temperature was 80F, and my pH was about 7.8.

My questions:
1. Since I'm doing fish-in cycling, should I do a partial water change since the nitrite level is pretty high? I get differing opinions on this. Some people say to leave the water alone for a month, and some people say to change it because the ammonia and nitrite levels are too high.

4. I'm using filtered water in my tank. The pH in my aquarium was 7.8, but when I tested the water right out of the water purifier, the pH was 6.8. Is the swing in my pH caused by the high level of nitrite in my tank? Also, the kH in my water is really low. Can this cause it too? If so, how can I cure really low kH?

5. I was told that a fish in cycle should take about 4-6 weeks. By the time the cycling is over, I have to change my water filter. How do I change the filters without removing all the good bacteria that's grown during the cycling?

OK, I can't answer all your questions, but I do know a couple of the answers. 1) change that water asap! do at least a 50% water change and get your ammonia and nitrite levels down to .25ppm or less. do this with temperature matched and dechlorinated water. this will not affect your cycle. the good bacteria you are trying to grow is NOT in the water - it is in the filter
5) this brings up question #5. do not change your filter like they tell you to on the packaging! keep the old filter media in your tank until it is falling apart. I have heard this may be as long as 6 months or more.
2-3) yes you can do plants while cycling. I am not very knowledgable about plants so I will let someone else answer this one for you

Answer to one: anyone telling you to not change the water for a month is either talking about a fishless cycle, or doesn't know what they're talking about. At 2 ppm ammonia and 4 ppm, you HAVE to do some serious water changes and get the numbers down to .25 or lower for both of them.

Answer to two: Yes.

Answer to three: technically, yes, I think, though probably unnecessary with just two plants, but in your case, see the note at the bottom.

Answer to four: pH in cycling tanks aren't always stable. Why are you using filtered water? It's rare that tap water isn't suitable for a freshwater tank.

Answer to five: don't change them. The instructions say to change them in order to make you buy more--there's no need to change them until they're falling apart completely.

Note: 6 gallons is not big enough for any of the fish you have in there.

Gouramis need bigger tanks--two dwarfs would need bare minimum a ten gallon, and most likely more, and I'd say most other species of gourami would need closer to a 29 gallon.

Black skirt tetras are a schooling fish and require at least 6 in a school. 6 gallons is not big enough for this.

If you have to stay with the 6 gallon, I would highly suggest you rehome/return the fish and look into fish more suitable for your tank. You could keep a betta, a dwarf puffer, a scarlet badis maybe, or a school of nano fish (ember tetras, Celestial Pearl Danios, chili rasboras, pygmy corys). You could also keep shrimp. If you want to keep the fish you have, you'll need to upgrade to a larger tank and add to your school of black skirts.

After I got those readings, I did a 40% water change before I left. I'll do another 40% water change when I get back home.

Tap water in LA is really hard. I tested the tap water (API test tube kit), and the water in my area was really hard, kH was really high, pH was 8+, however no chlorine was detect (which I found odd). The water from the filter machine that I'm using tested: really soft water, kH was really low, pH was about 6.8 and no chlorine. After reading up on aquarium sites, I decided to use the filtered water because of the low pH and softness of the water (I didn't want to use chems to bring these 2 down). But I'm concerned about the kH right now and trying to figure out a way to bring it up.

I'm planning to put in a co2 system because I want to add some more plants, and I think I need the additional co2 for them.

How is the water being filtered? RO/DI? If so, you would need to add minerals back in to make it safe for the fish. You could do a 50/50 mix of filtered and straight tap.

HI and welcome, my replies below in blue. You might also want to read the link in my signature: guide to starting a FW aquarium; the first thing it covers is cycling and you'll want to particularly read the info on fish-in cycling.

My set up:
6 gals is too small for the fish you have and the Tetras would be happier in a group which you can't do. I'd suggest rehoming the fish and cycle the tank fishless and research proper stocking for a 6 gal or get larger tank within the next few months. Proper fish for a 6 gal would be a single betta or a group of nano fish like ember tetra, celestial pearl danio or chili rasbora.

Woah, ok, ammonia and nitrite are very high for the fish as they are both toxic. Do a few 50%+ water changes to get those levels down ASAP. Unfortunately your tank is overstocked with inappropriate fish so it may be a battle keeping levels safe for them.

My questions:
Yep, see above. You must change the water when cycling with fish otherwise the toxins will kill or severly injure them long-term.

Yep. :)

Yep.

Filtered, as in reverse osmosis? If it's RO water or distilled water you need to re-add minerals for the fish and bacteria, something like seachem replenish or Kent's RO Rite. Or you could use 50% of your tap water and 50% RO water but unless your tap water is somehow tainted then I'd use the tap water. Fish can adapt to your water and PH so no worries that it's above 8. Since there is adifference in PH between the fitlered water and the tap water do some small water changes slowly to get the fish used to the PH difference and then just use tap from now on. Use a dechlorinator though as it removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals and it'll help detoxify the ammonia and nitrite between water changes which will help your fish (not to be used in place of water changes though). Seachem Prime is best.

No need to replace the filter media unless it's literaly falling apart and that could take years. The manufacturers say to replace the media but that's so they can make more money, no need to do it. Just swish it lightly in old tank water during water changes to loosen any gunk and debris but wait until the tank is more established before doing this.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom