New To Aquariums - Info Overload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudhog79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I posted in the welcome section and didn't get much feedback so i will put this here. Sorry for re-posting.

Hello All,

I have just decided to setup a small aquarium, specifically a Fluval Spec V for my 3 year old.

My plans for this tank is to let my daughter pick out a few things to put into the tank. I would like to put a few plants in the tank. I like the algae balls, i have seen some small grass looking plants, possibly micro sword. I would also like to get some taller plants in the back. I will probably also do some drift wood with flame moss or something to make it look like a tree. I would also like one small fish and some small colorful shrimp.

If there an easy way to keep the grasses from running all over and completely covering the bottom of the tank? I want to put plants in but don't want stuff that will grow too fast. I plan to keep the stock lighting in the aquarium.

So far i have purchased the following:

Fluval Spec V Tanks
Hydor 25W Heater
Carib Sea Eco Complete in Black
Tetra Safe Start
Sea Chem Prime
API Masters Test Kit

Once i put down the Eco complete do i need to add a top layer of rock over that?

I would like to set this tank up using the TSS. Can i put in the plants while cycling the tank? With TSS i understand i shouldnt use the prime in the water is that correct? I would use the prime once the tank has been cycled for doing water changes and or topping off the tank correct?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I have enjoyed reading the forum and plan to continue reading. I think i am going to do a build thread as well.

Thanks again.

You have to treat the water for chlorine and heavy metals so youust use prime. Then wait 24-48 hours and then use TSS.

You can use plants during cycle, this make cycling even easier on the fish as they uptake toxins.

Don't have to cover up Eco complete most don't.

Add fish and TSS together.

For that small of tank your very limited to fish. I would suggest a betta. Could maybe do shrimp but the betta will most likely eat them.

Plants will overgrow. Its up to you to maintain and cut back what you don't want.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might want to learn more about low light, low tech planted aquariums. The plants don't grow so much.

You might even be interested in the dry start method, where you let the plants start out without water and with more light, if you (and your child) have the patience. Tom Barr's method is the one that makes more sense to me personally.

The mistake I made in getting a small aquarium for my 3 year old was that smaller tanks need huge, frequent water changes.

The other was that it's addicting ... A year after a 1 gallon betta tank I have a 3 gallon, a 10 gallon, and a 29!

Over in the planted tank forum they can give more plant specific advice too. And Barr Report, though they don't have as active a forum, has a lot worth reading.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Is your 10 gallon planted? Any suggestions of plants that i should use?

You might want to learn more about low light, low tech planted aquariums. The plants don't grow so much.

You might even be interested in the dry start method, where you let the plants start out without water and with more light, if you (and your child) have the patience. Tom Barr's method is the one that makes more sense to me personally.

The mistake I made in getting a small aquarium for my 3 year old was that smaller tanks need huge, frequent water changes.

The other was that it's addicting ... A year after a 1 gallon betta tank I have a 3 gallon, a 10 gallon, and a 29!

Over in the planted tank forum they can give more plant specific advice too. And Barr Report, though they don't have as active a forum, has a lot worth reading.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom