new to fish, getting 20 gallon, need to get fish out of 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpringSprite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I'm new here, had fish as a young child with my dad and loved it, didn't know about all that goes into keeping a healthy tank, and didn't find this site prior to getting a 5 gallon glofish tank.

So here is where I'm at...

Have 4 glofish in a 5 gallon tank, understand now that it is way overstocked and am doing water changes daily or 2x daily (as I am physically able) to get nitrite levels down. Ordered API master test kit and Prime via Amazon, should be here tomorrow. (Couldn't go to the store as I've got a wicked case of the flu, so do my boys. We are utterly house bound) I've been using test strips which I understand are not really accurate, but they DO show high nitrite levels, slightly elevated ammonia levels. Bought the fish 12/8 and am hoping I'm just in the elevated nitrate level of cycle, which means it should be done soon?

Would like to get a couple / few more glofish to make a proper school, would like to buy a 20 gallon long, separate hood, separate filter, separate whatever else I'll need. The aqua Clear 30 seems like it gets good reviews and I would like to get an LED hood.

I will do a fishless cycle when I get the new tank (within the next few days), what can I do to keep these fish "ok" until I get the bigger tank set up, and what other type fish might you recommend I add to the 20 gallon to make a good community tank? Or should I NOT do a fishless cycle, just so I can get these guys out of the 5 gallon sooner?

Any advice appreciated, I feel terrible that I did this wrong initially and would like to correct my mistakes ASAP. Thanks!!

-Kerry

I am not a big fan of the glo-fish as the are genetically modified with jellyfish DNA. But in your case you are already doing a fish in cycle so I would say put the fish you already have in the new 20 with the filter you already have and the new filter and continue on with the fish in cycle. Do not add anymore fish until you completed your cycle though. The larger tank will make it easier to keep your levels lower and more stable while your bacterial filter is established. I would also get a bottle of prime and dose for the tank volume everyday to help detoxify the ammonia and nitrite levels. You will still need to make sure that ammo and nitrite stay under 0.25ppm and 10ppm of nitrate. Using the prime is nothing but a temporary Band-Aid fix and only works for 24 hours. You still need to do your water changes. Use all of the material from your establishing 5g in the 20g. Good bacteria lives in the filter and on the hard surfaces of the aquarium, very little if any lives in the water. So any decorations, gravel and filter material should be switched to the new tank even though the smaller tank isn't fully cycled yet, it sounds like you are about half way through so no reason to not to use the bb that has already built up! good luck and we are all here to help with any questions you have!

Thank you for your response, I understand about being not ok with the GMO fish, I'm on the fence but completely see your point.

Here is where I am at:
I found a 20 g high on craigslist, came with a stand and a Whisper 20 filter for $50. I bought some new gravel, rinsed that and it's on the bottom of the tank. Filled the tank over 3/4 to the top, enough to run the filter and see that it works (I bought the bio bag but don't have the mesh thingy that is probably exactly what I need to culture that good bacteria :/)
Got a new heater, glass lid and marineland led light bar.

Do I need to run the filter for 24 hours straight? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

In a day or two I plan on putting the fish in their existing water in a bucket, moving over the existing gravel, decorations and filter, and then transferring the fish. Am I missing anything? Doing anything wrong?

(I plan on buying the completely new filter but was hoping to get away with these two, for now, to save myself further monetary ouch from all the stuff I bought today)

Thanks again for any help

My mind isn't working too well at this point so bear with me and correct me if I'm wrong :)

1. New tank is set up, filled, heated, and the filter is running.
2. Old tank is still set up.

If that's the case transfer the filter media from the old tank and put it into the new one. It can also be helpful to take the top layer of gravel, stick that ii n a filter bag, and cram that into the filter too. That should help shorten the time for a cycle. I would probably let the tank run overnight just to let the new water degas helping smooth the transition over for your fish.

As for the gmo fish, I dont particularly mind it since its a humane practice. They live just as long as regular danios. Now if we were talking about the tattooed / dyed fish....

I think you could iust take the filter from the 5 gallon and run it on the 20 gallon along with the new filter. Continue the fish in cycle until ammonia and nitrIte levels are consistently at zero and you have a steady increase in nitrates. Then you can start a weekly water changing schedule to keep your nitrAtes around 10ppm or less. Eventually you can take the smaller filter off and put it back on the 5 gallon and you have an instantly cycled tank for a betta bachelor pad....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all! I left the heater running on the new tank overnight and am going to try doing the change over today if all looks good :)

OK, fish are in the 20 gallon. My next questions:

Should I be checking water daily at this point until ammonia/nitrite are 0 and nitrates rise?

After this is done, and I begin to add new fish, how often should I check the water?

Other than weekly PWC, and barring any problems, is there something I should be doing on a regular basis to maintain the tank? (I plan on vacuuming the gravel when I do the PWC)

:)

Yes check the water daily until you see 0 ammo and nitrite. Now that you have nitrite you will also need to check for nitrate daily as well. They are like the light at the end of the tunnel! Once you see them you know you are getting close! This is the longest part of the cycle. If the nitrates when you see them are 10ppm then do a water change. But once the cycle is done just do a water change before adding new fish and add them slowly so the bb filter has time to match the new inhabitants. Maybe 2 at a time. Other than that do your weekly 50% water change and enjoy your new fish!

All levels are back at zero. I am thinking that changing over the filter and substrate to the new tank, with the new water, has not carried over any BB? I feel like I have started over? At any rate, the fish seem happy. I will keep checking...

Just keep checking. If you see zero nitrite and zero ammonia and you have nitrAtes you may be cycled.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will. No nitrates yet. Perhaps its a good thing, since now I am thinking I want to change gravel for sand and get corys. They are SO cute.

I wish I had done more initial research before getting and setting up a tank. Live and learn. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom