New to Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
My daughter has a 20g long tank and wants to set it up. I know nothing about freshwater i have had a reef tank for years but not freshwater. What do I need to set this up? I know I need a heater and a HOB filter but what else? Do I need to do a cycle like in saltwater? etc...

My daughter has a 20g long tank and wants to set it up. I know nothing about freshwater i have had a reef tank for years but not freshwater. What do I need to set this up? I know I need a heater and a HOB filter but what else? Do I need to do a cycle like in saltwater? etc...

Sounds like you pretty much know what you need, you cycle it similar to saltwater ... except salt water bacteria I believe is a different type than fresh water so forget about seeding the 20gal with your salt tank. An HOB would work fine for a 20g long ... in fact ... that's the tank size I want to upgrade my son's 10gal to.

What fish are you considering and are you looking for a planted tank? If so then you'll need to consider lighting options. Low light plants like anubias, crytp, Java fern and Java moss give you simple options ... a single 5000K - 6500K T8 would probably do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom