New to Freshwater Tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I'm rather new to keeping a large, filtered, freshwater tank. I bought my 26 gallon bow-front tank two years ago, but wasn't able to set it up. (We had a big earthquake and I was too paranoid to :nono: ).

I have had many bettas in the past and have done well with them, but I've never had a real filtered tank, all of them were in tanks that weren't filtered. I currently have one betta, my beloved Calvin, and really enjoy him. (My brave fishie survived the quake- I found his tank halfway off the counter and thanked my lucky stars he was okay! :) ) Anyways, the little guy inspired me to get another tank and set it up, too.

I finally set my 26 gallon up today. Though I did tons of hours of research when I got the tank, I can't remember half of it and I'm not sure where to start.

I currently have the filter and lighting set up. It came in a kit. I'll set up the heater tomorrow. I have gravel and some cool rocks in it, too.

I'm a little bit unsure about how to plant it, how to cycle it, how to acclimate new fish, etc... in short, I'm unsure about everything. I suppose I'm just scared of messing up royally and killing/hurting my fish or doing something wrong.

I want to cycle it as quickly and safely as possible, as I'm free for a week and can closely monitor it if I were to be able to put fish in it, but I don't know if it can be livable that soon. I'm leaning towards fishless cycling due to some great advice I got.

I also am worried about planting my tank. I don't know how, or what plants to get, or how to make sure they don't die.

With regards to inhabitants, I have them picked out but don't know how to acclimate them when I get them. I want some shrimp, likely cherry shrimp, some corydoras catfish, and some guppies.

Any advice for a very confused newbie would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

~DreaminginBlue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 57
Thank you so much. I'll look into that. :) and yeah, he's a pretty patient little guy, except when it comes to getting fed.

Fishless Cycling?

So I've been reading up on fishless cycling- I really feel this is the way to go for me. Are there any tips on how to do it or how to speed it up? Also, can I put my plants in during a fishless cycle?

Thanks. :)

Plants can go in. If they are from an established tank it will help with the cycle. I have heard dubious things about those "cycle your tank in a week/bacteria in a bottle". If you know someone who has a tank and can give you some filter media that is the best way to go. Sometime people sell it and mail it on the classifieds here.

I'm pretty new too so my knowledge is limited! but here goes..... plants (I've done my research. I have had plants in my tank for a month now so a teeny bit of experience). I used a fertiliser substrate (it got very dirty quickly.... I now have a little bit if the substrate where each plant is rooted and gravel over the top). you can use fertiliser liquid, you add a dosage in relation to your tank. or you can use tablets... put it under the gravel/sand case to the each plant. the ones I have last for 6 months, bit I've heard others last 2 so double check the bottle.
will be interesting to see what other comments you get as I wouldn't mind a bit more info on this. I had a very heavily planted tank and I've had to take some out cause it was too much up keep with so little knowledge.... I figure I can add more if I need to and when I want to.

a filter less tank... how did that work? I've not heard of this yet (though, again I am new). but I also have a betta :) he is gorgeous :)

Back
Top Bottom