New to the aquarium world, advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dear_iinsanity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, so I just started up a small 3 gallon because I needed something bigger for my betta that was in a tiny half gallon bowl.

I bought a cheap tetra setup that came with a whisper 3i filter (which I'm not too thrilled with) and a small LED light. I need to get a heater ASAP for him since fall is about here and it's getting colder.

I also want to throw some plants in for him, right now I just have a small rock cave and some gravel, he seems to enjoy the cave quite a bit.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is some advice on what products I should get to start up a healthy and successful planted tank. Here's a picture of what I'm working with at the moment:

Attachments

• image-1166978952.jpg
    image-1166978952.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 68
After you get the heater I would go with low light plants anubias and Java ferns. You can get lights that actually clamp on the side of the tank and adjust to a medium or highlight tank which means a wider range of plants. I will admit for me the plants are fast becoming an addiction! I am getting into T5 HO lights and doing tuns of research on adding co2 to my tank. But it can be as easy or as difficult as you would like it to be.

If you are okay with that filter than besides the heater you don't need much of anything else. Except food maybe, but I can't help you with that because I don't have a betta, and don't remember the names of the food I have (I'm not at home now) :D.

Do you know how to cycle the tank/is it cycled?

If you are okay with that filter than besides the heater you don't need much of anything else. Except food maybe, but I can't help you with that because I don't have a betta, and don't remember the names of the food I have (I'm not at home now) :D.

Do you know how to cycle the tank/is it cycled?

I am not happy with this filter at all...I'm on day 2 with it and my water is already losing clarity. It also produces tons of bubbles for no reason and it's kind of annoying. The tank is cycled.

I have an extra heater, but not sure how to get rid of it. I'd give it to you for free since it doesn't get cold much here in hawaii.

Ok nutra fin will not cycle your tank you have to eon get use liquid ammonia or a raw shrimp and wait, and test u till ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10-20

Back
Top Bottom