New to this and screwed up already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any experience with Axelrod's Rainbowfish? I'm thinking about this now:

Attachments

• image-916662523.jpg
    image-916662523.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 51
Just things to watch out for:
mystery snails are apple snails. Which are named that way because they can get as big as an apple.:eek: trumpet's can reproduce very fast.:ermm: Also guppies are I think a 3 to 1 female to male ratio so plan on fry.:rolleyes: but the rainbows are cool and they can keep the guppy population down. :blink:

I don't need snails as big as an apple...but they're so pretty! I've read that the MTSs only reproduce enough so that their environment can handle it. No? I wouldn't mind having more, they're cool to watch at night.

I have 3 pregnant female guppies now. Yay. Not so much. I'm going to let nature take its course until I get the 55 up, when that happens, I think I'm going to have the 29 become my female guppy tank with who knows what until they die. Will all male guppies in a tank be okay?

I'm not sure! It's a good question! I see the lfs keep all male and all female tanks. I would think there would be fights........now after looking online. It says that all male tanks work but there may be some bullying of the lil guy in the grp.

Last edited by a moderator:
If needed, I could always get an Assasin Snail or two for the MTSs.

Okay, I got my wood in. I need opinions. I ordered a bunch and figured I would be able to pick something from what they sent.

I can rearrange them in the tank to lay down or to prop, they all fit.

Attachments

• image-1823243071.jpg
    image-1823243071.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 62
Painting is all done, too, though it's hard to see because of the reflection.

Attachments

• image-2941814135.jpg
    image-2941814135.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 54
I've started getting yellowish-brown spots on my lava rock. Are these diatoms?

Attachments

• image-2136651984.jpg
    image-2136651984.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 55
Your tank is looking great! Love the background color. Wood is excellent, too!

I think you likely will have diatoms. Good news is they're supposed to go away. How long are your lights on? I've had to cut my lights to 8 hours (from 16) to try and control some of the algae.

possible. On a weird note I was in one of our LFS and they have some new rock that looks alot like yours! all most bought a pc for the soon to be 40B build!! I can't wait! I hope to start the trend in the next few weeks!!

Last edited:
I don't think that's true. They max out about golf ball-sized.

barney-main-small.jpg

100_2782.jpg

Those are big golf balls then!!! !:cool::lol:

Last edited:
callisto9 said:
Your tank is looking great! Love the background color. Wood is excellent, too!

I think you likely will have diatoms. Good news is they're supposed to go away. How long are your lights on? I've had to cut my lights to 8 hours (from 16) to try and control some of the algae.

I think I'm going to get rid of the wood. I found some driftwood that I like better so it's been soaking for a couple of days. I'm sure once I start playing around, I'll make even more changes. :)

phishfriend said:
possible. On a weird note I was in one of our LFS and they have some new rock that looks alot like yours! all most bought a pc for the soon to be 40B build!! I can't wait! I hope to start the trend in the next few weeks!!

I love my rock! I'm so glad I saw it that day.

Is there anything I can do to clean the rock for good (i just use a scrub brush now) or do I just have to ride it out?

barney-main-small.jpg

100_2782.jpg

Those are big golf balls then!!! !:cool::lol:

That's a different kind of snail. The kinds you see in pet stores max out at golf ball-sized. The link in that one pic states those are cana snails. The "mystery" snails you see in stores are apple snails, or Pomacea bridgesii/Pomacea diffusa

More info here: How to take care of apple snails: food, housing and breeding.

The ones you can buy in major pet stores (PetSmart, Petco, etc.) will not get as big as an apple.

Is there anything I can do to clean the rock for good (i just use a scrub brush now) or do I just have to ride it out?

Either really. I would just let it "age" in the tank but if you like it clean then scrub scrub or snails.

When am I going to see nitrites in the 29? I'm still doing daily 25-50% PWCs (depends on if im cleaning rhe gravel or not) and everyday ammonia is .25, nitrites and trates are 0.

I skipped a water change one day and the ammonia went to .50.

Remember, I have a sponge too. :( Am I just being impatient? My 10 that I started two weeks ago (it has a thread) is seeing nitrates already.

phishfriend said:
I thought you have nitrites in the 29? What temp is the tank at? PH?

Nope, I posted that I had them in the 10.
Temp - 78
pH - 7.4

Back
Top Bottom