New to this stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MitcherNeaf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok you may have read about how i bought a bala and found out they lied to me told me it would only gro wot 3 1/2 inches and gave me a tiny little tank. Well now i want to start my own.

I want to go to the pet store and pick up some stuff to beable to start my cycle, ive been reading through the posts and articles but can't really find a place that tells me everything i will need to start the cycle. This is what im guessing I definitly need
A tank want to go for a 55gal
a filter of some sort
a test kit, heard the liquid ones are the best
and i think i read somewhere there is something that makes water changes easier some type of pump, not sure on that though
Also i read that having a garbage can with a heater and pump is good to have to let your water sit in, is this something i need or just makes things easier.

Any help with additional things ill need just to start the cycling would be great, links to articles that tell me thsi stuff or other posts woudl be great. I just can't seem to find what im looking for. Thankyou very much.
Mitchell
PS. Not sure what type of fish i would like to put in there, any suggestions about easy to keep fish for start up that my 2 year old daughter would really enjoy watching.

The startup equip. is fine. For a 55 gal. Canister is good, however HOB will work fine.

You need a test kit, especially in the beginning to know when your cycle is complete. Liquid is the best because strips have been known to be inaccurate.

Best way to cycle is to go the fishless method using raw shrimp from the grocery store and drop it in the tank. For one, you will not slow down the cycle by doing water changes to save the fish from toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite. Faster and easier for you and the fish.

I believe the pump you are referring to is the Python. If you are buying from a Petsmart etc. price match online and check places like Bigalsonline.com. They also have a Lee's brand that is a little cheaper.

The garbage can may have been recommended for salt water. If you use a dechlorinator like Prime, this should be unnecessary.

Hope this helps. Please come and ask about fish specific fish. If you get a 55 gal. There are a lot of options. Let us know what you decide and people can be more specific with fish.

ok, here is what i have for my big tank, maybe it will help.

All glass 200watt heater (25 bucks)
40 gal glass tank (i got mine free)
aqua clear 40 gal rated filter. i tossed the media that came with it ($35 bucks)
fluval bio cylinders (ceramic cylinders, the come in a box of 250 for about 8 dollars)
filter floss (i buy in bulk, a lot for about 4 bucks)
the hood that came with it and lights, and yes, i grow plants in my tanks
pool filter sand substrate
crushed coral, because my tap water has no ability to hold PH
i keep a small amount of activated carbon/zeolite mix on hand (about 8 bucks)
Prime dechlorinator from Seachem
I use Aquatic Pharmaceuticals master freshwater test kits ($30 bucks, but lasts a long time)
i bought a cheap light timer ($8)
decor (landscaping suppier)
a cheap digital thermometer ($9 bucks at petSmart)
a net for catching fish
buckets
a algae sponge for cleaning the inside of the glass
a syphon ($10 max)
Flake and frozen foods
a Power strip
airline tubing (25 feet goes a LONG way)
an air pump
air stones/bubble wands

Things i have, but don't NEED, but like having on hand

PimaFix (medication)
MelaFix (medication)
Maracyn Plus (medication)
veggie clips
Aquarium Salt

I made my own filter media using bulk filter floss and the cyramic culinders in an old pair of panty hose, cut and tied off to make a baggie

If you can find it, Bio-Spira will help you cycle fast. Or you can go to an AQUARIUM SUPPLY STORE (not petsmart or petco) and ask for some seeded media if their tanks look healthy, to stick in your filter.

read about the nitrogen cycle. this is the number one most important thing. MOST IMPORTANT. it is key to the health of your fish.

This is an amazing hobby. you will fall in love with it, i gaurentee it. you can do it if you are willing to put in a little time and effort, and it will teach you, your family and everyone who sees your beautiful tanks something wonderful.

Ok a few questions, with the filter i want it to filter the entire ammount of water 5 times in 1 hour, i thought i read that somewhere, so around 300gph. Also with the shrimp, how many do i need just 1? and also will the ammonia and nitrite increase then fall all on their own, or will i need to do water changes to keep the levels within a certain range, i know i wont have to keep them really low like i would if i had a fish in there but would i need to reduce it at all, or just once it came down to 0 it woudl be ready?
Another question about the dechlorinator. Are there certain brands is "Prime" the best or will any work.
And also, i was told to use pool filter sand as a substrate, i dont even know what this is, and/or if i need it. is this something i would use rather than just regular rocks?
Thanks alot, this mamoth task of starting a tank is starting to seem more reachable now, thankyou.
Mitch

5x turnover is fine a freshwater tank unless its a special stream biotope or heavily stocked (needs more oxygen exchange). Or unless you go into crazy saltwater land where 20x turnover is not unheard of :)

I've never used the shrimp method myself, but one good sized shrimp should do it.

Your cycle will start with ammonia rising and reaching a crest, then dropping off to 0. After this ammonia spike, the nitrite will rise and then fall as well. After this point you should have 0 detectable ammonia and nitrite, but some detectable nitrates.

Amquel is a good dechlorinator. Most will generaly work fine as they all use the same basic chemical set.

Sand is a lot of work in a freshwater setup. I would use an aquarium gravel you find attractive.

As far as how many gallons it filters per hour. Just look at what you are interested in online and do the math. Most sites provide the specs. If you are confused regarding what you want, ask away.

You should be ok with a 55 gal. but you can't buy 1 anyway. If it did dissolve and the cycle was not complete you could add more. I think 1 1/2 will be good.

The cycle will complete itself. The shrimp supplies the source of amonia for your "beneficial" bacteria to grow on your filter media and substrate ect. Do not touch the filter media during this period. When ammonia and nitrates are 0 you should be good to begin adding fish slowly.

Most people prefer Prime.

As far as substrate, I use PFS. I like it better than gravel because not as much waste gets stuck in between the gravel and I like the white look.

This is just IMO. Many people use gravel. It all depends what you want. Keep in mind that (PFS) or Pool filter sand) needs to be aerated. Many people do this with (MTS) or Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Sometimes they can be hard to find, however many people offer them for the cost of shipping on AA.

Sand is a lot of work in a freshwater setup. I would use an aquarium gravel you find attractive

Actually, if done correctly sand is not a lot of work.

Amques is a dechlorinator is that the same thing as a water conditioner which i was told i needed by fishypeanut. If so i guess im ready to go to the pet store, and start looking, thanks for all the help, ill get the stuff listed to start getting the cycle going so i can get my shark into a nice home as fast as possible. Thankyou
Mitchell

if you do the shrimp method, DO NOT introduce fish until your ammonia and nitrite levels are ZERO.

if you do the fish cycle (with hardy fish, in a 55 gal, 10 danios would do it) then keep ammonia and nitrite under .5-1 ppm with water changes.

look for posts by tim2k. he has written a lot about fish and fishless cycles.

the easy way to get a good filter is to ask the petstore for one rated for your tank. then buy the next size up. for a 55 gal, buy one 55 gal rated+. don't worry about the math of gallons per hour, just get one better than you need. keep it simple. hang on back filters are greeat for your first tank, as they are easy to set up and maintain. A lot of people here like aqua clear filters.

just search google for "nitrogen cycle aquarium" and you will find good write ups.

you can use any substrate you like, if you want gravel. pool filter sand is just nice because it is clean and inexpensive. i have no more problems with sand than i do with gravel.

for first timers, i honestly (and will get a beat down for it) suggest a light bioload fish cycle. a small school of danios. it allows you to enjoy your fish right away.

Keep in mind what people stated on your other thread. Bala's need to be in a school and need at least 100-150 gal. tank.

You said you could not do this on the other thread?

Mike469 said:
Sand is a lot of work in a freshwater setup. I would use an aquarium gravel you find attractive

Actually, if done correctly sand is not a lot of work.

Every time I think of "sand" I think of the sugar fine stuff I use in my reef. Which would simply fly out of the tank if I attempted to vacuum it.

Coarser sand is ok :)

one more thing....

be prepared for some disappointing deaths. they happen. especially when you are new to the hobby. it will happen. it won't mean you are a bad keeper though.

just read, read, read, then research some more and you will do just fine =)

Every time I think of "sand" I think of the sugar fine stuff I use in my reef. Which would simply fly out of the tank if I attempted to vacuum it.

PFS is bigger than sugar sized and is not used in reef tanks.

Hi :)

If you're keeping the bala then just do three SMALL balas for a month and cycle with fish. Be prepared to do water changes when the ammonia and/or nitrites are at 0.5ppm (you can go to 1ppm if you must, but lower is better for the fish).

If you are going to return the bala then you can use the shrimp method. I did it that way. Its a little ugly but you'll be spending your time thinking about decorations and reading about all the possible combinations of fish you might want.

You can use either gravel or pool fliter sand (or PFS as its abbreviated - its the sand that is used inside pool filters - any pool supply store will have it). Its up to what look you want.

As far as dechlorinators go they are all pretty much the same. I personally prefer Prime - it looks more expensive ounce for ounce but since you use about 1/10th the amt of Prime compared to the other products it actually ends up less expensive in the long run and does a great job. It also detoxifies ammonia and nitrites, which is good in an emergency.

I'm really impressed with how much you're reading :) Here are some articles on cycling and on the nitrogen cycle (the cycling article was written by a person with a salt water tank, but the same methods apply to freshwater):
Nitrogen cycle: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
Fishless cycle: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

If you are going with a hob filter, aim for a turnover rate of 10x per hour. I actually recommend a canister for a 55 gal tank. Other than that, the advice that you have been given so far is excellent.

Went to the pet store today, we have a SuperPetz around here, they are putting in petco or whatever they are but wont be ready for a couple more months. But anyway i went there and it was going to cost me 109 for the tank + 79 for the top with a light. And the stands were around 100 so this was alittle much for me so i went to the local walmart, and they had a 55 galon tank kit, came with a heater, 30-60gallon filter, water conditioner, top/with bulbs, and some food, plus some stuff to change the filter. All this was only 158 and i coudl get a stand for an additional 76 dollars, this is alot more stuff for less money. Does this sound like a good idea. im guessing im going to have to upgrade my equipment eventually, but this gets me started for alot less. I will still have to buy some gravel, and a test kit, and a python, but besides that, im pretty much set with that stuff i suppose. Does this sound like a good deal or something i might want to stay away from, it is walmart after all, not always known for the highest quality stuff.
Thanks
Mitch
PS
http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/34/440/?PHPSESSID=a36b53fb3c261e46a4b7f0da59f16f51
there is a review of the same thing, it is just a 10 gallon rather than 55
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3363264
thats the actual one there, doesnt tell you much, just from the wal mart site

You'll need to upgrade the filter right off the bat. The one that comes with the kit is not sufficient. Also, you'll want to upgrade the heater. The tank itself is fine but the equipment needs to be upgraded.

Ok awsome sounds good, will i need a new lightsource at all? I dont really understand the reason for this besides viewing the fish but there very well may be, maybe to recreate sunlight, not sure. Also will the filter be ok to last for alittle bit or it just is completely insuficiant?
Also with the heater, which kind to you think and what kind of cost am i looking at,as well as with the filter, I was looking in super petz and they did have some nice filters for 50 some dollars, i saw one of those ones with the revolving filter looks like a wheal they used in mills that used water to turn the mill. I think i heard someone said they were good.
Thanks
Mitch
PS. a couple people from work, and my step fatehr said they may ahve a 55 gallon and are checking so i guess im waiting atleast through the weekend before i get to set one up...

The only reason that you would have to upgrade the light strip is if you are keeping plants. I would go ahead and upgrade the filter right away. That way you can cycle the first time around. For a 55 gal tank I'd go with a canister filter. Check out www.bigalsonline.com for equipment. I HIGHLY recommend them. Their prices are about 1/2 of the lfs.

The filter that you are talking about has a bio-wheel. If you go with a canister there is no need for it. I only have one filter that has a bio-wheel and it's not really that big of a deal. IMO the best hob filter is the AquaClear. But I'd still go with a canister for that tank size. It has a higher setup fee but is much more efficient.

In regards to the heater, I'd go with a Visi-therm stealth. A 250 or 300 Watt would work perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom