New to this, trying to save my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayne1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so just a quick introduction. I bought a roma 200 litre aquarium on Thursday and was told by the guys at the pet store to run it for 3 days then come and get some fish which I did. I have now read all about the fishless cycle which would have been preferable but I am now in the process of going through a fish in cycle. The last thing I want is to hurt the fish so I need as much advice as possible to keep them safe. Will my tank still cycle with them in? Which products will help the cycle progress.
Thanks for your time guys

Buy an API master test kit for starters. Stabilizer / beneficial bacteria. Add the amount daily for the first week. I highly doubt your tank established so quickly, don't trust the guys at your local fish store, it's there job to take your money, and very often offer the best advice up front. Always do your research before purchase of fish.

Not offer the best advice upfront*

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for he reply. I'm off out in a sec to get all the things I need to ty n get through this without harming fish.
1, test kit ( I hear api is best)
2, some bacteria starter for my filter
3, prime??? I've seen people talking about that on here is it really good to help with a fish in cycle?
At what levels will I have to do water changes? And how much? Will it significantly slow my cycle?

API master kit is the best, prime should be fine also. Post your test results from the kit.

When I first started my lfs sold me fish too early and the only thing that could save them was ammolock.

Thanks for reply,
Ammonia is .5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Tested tap water and that was 20 also

At this point shall I dose with prime or water change?

I would not do a water change. It will only hinder the cycle. the bacteria needs ammonia to thrive, and removing it will only produce a very weak bacteria colony. Just use the ammonia binding agent (ammo lock, prime, amquel) and wait it out. How many fish did you add?

5 neon tetras and two corys

Should I be adding bottled bacteria to help it along?

He doesn't have ammolock :-/ and the fish have been at a relatively high ammonia level for awhile now, I'm worried about ammonia poisoning. Water change may prolong his cycle but without ammolock, may save the fish. It's a slippery slope.

Add bacteria daily and this will fix within a week.

Don't do any more water changes tho. Like I, and mr. X said. You need some ammolock.

This is probably a real dumb question but if I overdose the tank with bacteria that should help shouldn't it? More the merrier right?

If your ammonia gets worse your fish won't last long. But your tank is showing signs of cycling wich is good. Your making progress

Yes, it couldn't hurt. "Stress Zyme" is supposed to help with that. I have never used it however, and can't comment on it's effectiveness.

Completely different. Ammonia lock makes ammonia in your tank inert by converting it to a harmless form, it's still there but not harmless.

Not* harmful

You're on the right path.

Prime, ammo lock, etc... only make the ammonia non-toxic for the fish for about 24 hours. The ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria will still process it in that state. Partial water changes are still necessary to remove toxins and will not slow down the cycling process. There will be enough waste produced by the fish to continue the cycling process. Add Prime at the time of the water change and it will bind to chlorines, ammonia and nitrites although your cycle will continue. It takes 4-6 weeks for a fish-in cycle and you can speed this up by adding gunky cycled filter media to your filter obtained from a friend or your local fish store.

Corys are a great choice however they are very social creatures and prefer to be with more of their kind. Once you get through the cycling process I recommend adding another three Corys. Make sure you have some plants ir a cave for the Corys to hang out in as they are also shy.

Keep asking questions as they arise because you can never have too much information and opinions are freely provided here.

You guys have been great thanks so much for all your advice. I'm going to do water changes with prime and keep my fingers crossed for my lil guys. Dunno how I managed to get attached to them so quick ( such a wuss ). Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom