new used tank need help with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oct18af

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK here's the deal. I just bought a 55 G tank which came with a filstar XP3 filter. This tank was previously used for salt water and had coral life. I want to use this tank for fresh water. The filter came with new foam pads for the bottom layer. Do I have to do anything to the filter or tank to convert the salt to fresh. I scrapped the tank of all the remaining coral stuck to it. Also when i was not looking my girlfriend wanted to help :idea: so she tried cleaning the inside of the tank with windex.
Your help will be appreciated.

Thanx Al

Rinse very well to get the windex out. White vinegar, a razor blade, a lot of water and elbow grease should do the job.

Just rinse the filter out well and replace the media with fresh and should be ready to go.

Welcome to AA!!!

Would it be ok if i plug the filter in and just cycle tap water in it through the sink to clean it out.

And also you said replace the media with fresh do i have to replace all the levels or is just the bottom foam pads all i need. I'm not quite sure what the top layer even is.

I would rinse it out. Windex is nasty stuff, but if necessary a bag of carbon should do the trick.

If the media was used in salt water I would replace it. Get yourself some bio media they look like cermaic ziti. You can fill the rest of it with sponges.

One last question... The top layer of the filter is a bag of rocks maybe charcol and a littler bag of some tiny little mystery beads. Do you know what the mystery beads are. They are real little and an off white collor.

Back
Top Bottom