New Wall Mount Aquarium - Need Help (with everything)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktkn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to aquariums and this forum. I really know nothing about how to sustain an aquarium, etc. I have read some of the posts, especially the stickys, which have been helpful but just wanted to ask more people about my particular situation and see what insight they can offer.

Before I go on, when I mean insight, I hope it is constructive at least. I can already imagine the fish enthusiasts go wild because they wished everybody had the same setup as them and that everybody was looking for the same things when it comes to aquarium.

Me: My number one priority is convenience. Yes I know, I can already hear the grunts and moans of the people that change their water on a daily basis. No, I do not want to do that. I will change the water, but as infrequently as required. Therefore, I am looking for a setup and fish that is as easy to maintain as possible.

Aquarium: It's a 2.2 Gallon Wall Mount Aquarium that looks like a picture frame hung on your wall. Wow, yes, only 2.2 Gallons (anybody faint yet)? I'm sure a lot of people hate those here cause they probably seem more like toys than real aquariums. Anyways, I've always liked aquariums, and I'm sure I'll get a massive one later on, but for now, this is what I want and what I have.

I've had my aquarium for quite a while now; it's been empty for a couple of months because I haven't had the time to do more research about how to take care of fish or even what fish to get. Aesthetics to me is most important about buying a fish, but with that, I know I need to get a fish that suits my lifestyle which ultimately means easy to maintain. I was thinking of getting 2 bubble-eye goldfish (that's what the aquarium store recommended), any kind of small goldfish. However, they were really small at the store, but I thought I remember seeing them to be quite big. However, I'm not sure because I have heard that if you have a small tank, the fish don't grow as big (is that a wivestale)?

I don't prefer to spend alot of money on the tank, but I will spend and get what is absolutely required.

I would really really really appreciate your input on how to get started and what kind of fish to get and other than the filter, what I need. Thank you very much for all your knowledge!

Don't know if it matters, but here are the dimensions of the tank: 23.3" L x 12.8" H x 4.5 D"

Last edited:
I wouldnt get gold fish if you dont have a filter.Goldfish makes the water dirty sometimes.But they are very easy to take care.Trust me I had some experience before with them.So you might want to buy it or not Im not that sure. I probaly wont get bubble eye goldfish because you have to be careful not to pop the bubble.If you only want one fish I would most likely recomend a Siamese Fighter Beta.Never put a male with male or male with female unless you know what your doing.Females are far more peaceful and can be kept together with female Siamese Fighter Beta and other types of fish.But the bettas fin can be tempting and other fish may nipp at at.
I would recomend a Siamese Fighter Beta but its you coice so u get to pick.

i personally, would never recommend anything under a 5 gal tank unless you just wanted to have a betta.

the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep water perameters in order which would result in very frequent water changes.

I wouldnt get gold fish if you dont have a filter.Goldfish makes the water dirty sometimes.But they are very easy to take care.Trust me I had some experience before with them.So you might want to buy it or not Im not that sure. I probaly wont get bubble eye goldfish because you have to be careful not to pop the bubble.If you only want one fish I would most likely recomend a Siamese Fighter Beta.Never put a male with male or male with female unless you know what your doing.Females are far more peaceful and can be kept together with female Siamese Fighter Beta and other types of fish.But the bettas fin can be tempting and other fish may nipp at at.
I would recomend a Siamese Fighter Beta but its you coice so u get to pick.

I have a filter, but are goldfish "dirtier fish"? I don't want an extremely dirty aquarium either.

On a side note, I never knew it was possible to put two siamese fighter beta fish together. How would I be able to do so? I actually like those fish alot. I wasn't really thinking of buying one because I wanted to put 2 fish in there.

Thanks for the input

You definately can't put male bettas together in an aquarium that small. While females bettas can sometimes cohabitate (it depends on their personalities) I wouldn't recommend trying it in an aquarium that small. It's really only big enough for one betta.

Definately much too small for any gold fish. You'd need at least a 10 gallon for a single goldfish. Gold fish are very dirty fish which would increase the maintenance requirements.

Another option would be Ghost Shrimp. You could easily have at least 6-12 in that size aquarium. They really are quite facinating to watch and would be a good conversation starter. In addition since they don't have much impact on the bioload of an aqurium, they would help minimize the necessary maintenance.

Since it has a filter I'd recommend at least 25% every 1-2 weeks. Testing your Nitrates is the best way to tell if your water changes are keeping up with your aquarium's needs. If the water changes aren't keeping up you can do larger water changes so that you don't have to do them as frequently.

A small heater to keep the temperature stable would be beneficial, especially if keeping betta. Liquid Test Kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate so that you can keep track of your water parameters (determine when water changes are necessary). And of course a quality dechlorinator like Prime to remove Chlorine/Chloramine.

The shrimp thought is a good one, and for a fish, I'd think the betta route is really the best and possibly only way to go.

Unless you could find mosquito fish (I hope I got the name right). Those are tiny, tiny.

i wold try shrimp maybe a frog. thats a really small tank with not much surface area.

I'm not a freshie anymore but I agree with the recommendations so far. I think the tank would be pretty cool with the RCS in it.

Purrbox ment to say...
CRS = Crystal Red Shrimp
RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp

Not...
CRS = Crystal Red Shrimp
RCS = Cherry Red Shrimp

LOL

If you are interested in aesthetics and low maintenance, I would get some glass fish - I mean fake fish actually made of glass. They make very pretty ones nowadays that actually float around the tank, and you would never have to change the water. You could add a little bubbler and have a crystal clear, very original conversation starter.

Frankly, that size tank would not be a humane choice for any fish I know. Imagine having only four inches in which to move sideways, and two gallons is just not enough space for a fish to swim and thrive. You are right that goldfish need much more space, at least ten gallons apiece, as noted earlier in this thread.

I do not put bettas in anything smaller than a five-gallon. If you do put them in two to three gallons, they just sit there, like a prisoner in a cell. You will see a dramatic increase in their activity and happiness just moving up to five gallons. Bettas also need a heater and a filter. I am not sure what comes with your tank.

All tanks get dirty, and most new ones go through a lengthy period of ugly brown algae. Did you know that you will be changing water almost on a daily basis for about two months until this aquarium cycles, in order to prevent ammonia poisoning? These early water changes are not optional; your fish will die without them. No matter what kind of tank you choose, you are in for some serious maintenance, especially at the beginning.

There is nothing wrong with opting not to put real fish in the tank. You show real care for your (potential) fish by posting here and asking for suggestions. I seriously recommend that you either go with some pretty glass fish or sell the little tank and get something larger and more humane for the fish, that will save you headaches in the long run.

Good luck. I hope you find what you need.

Yup, ditto fearlessfisch.

I'll add that you'll need to be doing daily water testing for quite some time and weekly/bi-weekly thereafter (with changes). Fish take maintenance just like any other pet.

A 2.2gal is more like a 1.5gal when you add gravel, decor, filter, heater, thermometer, etc. You could plant it I suppose if you are dead-set on having something in it.

Back
Top Bottom