Newb with a Newb Tank; How's it Doing So Far? (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set this 10g tank up on Sunday (my first). Let it run for 24 hours and then I bought a crawdad and an API test kit.

Here are the results:

Monday (Day 1):

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
30% Water Change Completed after test.

Tuesday (2):

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
No water change

Wednesday (3)

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0.50 (maybe 1.0)
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5.0
30% Water Change after test.

My crawdad is still alive. I think I'm doing these tests right. Sometimes it is hard for me to differentiate the colors on the scale. I thought I was supposed to see a rise in Nitrites before Nitrates and that it wasn't supposed to happen this fast? Have a look:

Ammonia:
m189972564.jpg

Nitrites:

m189972562.jpg

Nitrates:

m189972580.jpg

(I'm not the best photographer)

Let me know what you think. How long does my Crawdad have to live?

A 10g tank will cycle much faster than bigger tanks. Right now everything looks good and your crawdad will be fine. Every time you do a 30% water change you slash the nitrites and ammonia percentages. If you keep up the water changes every other day for a week or two you should be good. Your crawdad will be fine as well. I like to keep my starter filter in for a long time because it will be the first thing to gather a lot of the beneficial bacteria needed. Keep doing what your doing and watch the nitrites and your little crawdad will be fine. You might test PH once in a while too. GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom