The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

caitzs

Hi all!

:n00b:
I'm new here, and pretty new to fish too. I got 3 baby comet goldfish ("feeder fish" they were called at 50 cents each) a while ago and 2 have died, probably from not changing the water, nitrogen levels, all that good stuff. :p My last one was the one that came from the fishstore with a big parasite stuck to his head. 8O That thing was scary! I cured him with salt dips, and he's the only one still alive! :!:

I'm sticking to the one, as I'm sure my tank is barely big enough for one. (it's a half-gallon jar :oops:) I added a bit of gravel and a plastic plant for some cover to it, to hopefully hake the fish a little happier. I change the water frequently (1/4-1/3 of it once a week) with a siphon and use tap water, set out overnight or boiled and cooled to remove the chlorine. No lights, no filter, no aerator. I know, horrid set-up, but I don't have any room in my 300-sqft apartment and no budget.

I was eyeing a 2 gallon fishbowl at the thrift store the other day, but I really don't know where I'd put it. The only place is over the head of our bed and I don't think that's too safe if we have another earthquake...

Anyway, what can I do to keep my fish happy in my limited resources? (Probably the best thing would be to get that 2 gallon fishbowl, I know... :( )

How much light do goldfish need? Right now, it's just getting ambient lightbulb light 14 hours a day, when we're up.

It there a really cheap, small aerator? Is an aerator necessary? The fish seems to do OK, though he spends about 1/4 of his time blowing bubbles on the surface...

i know this isn't what you want to hear, but your fish would probably be happier if you gave him to someone with more room! :D that sounds like an awfully small apartment....i guess the 2 gallon bowl would be about 150% better than what he's got, but in my opinion that would still be too small, if not now then soon :roll: do you have a little table or anything sturdy enough to put a little bit bigger container?

Im guessing the other two died from ammonia posioning. Anything is going to be better than the 1/2 gal jar its in now. Have you seen the 5 gal square tanks? They have a foot print of like 1' X 6" X 6" or something like that.

Around here you can get a 10 gal tank for like $10. (Geez I sure wish tanks cost $1/gal of capacity. Sure would make that 180 gal tank more afordable... :) :)

Anyway back on track. You an get a small airpump at walmat for just a few $$ but in such a small space it might make alot of water movment.

The reason its at the surface might be that its board and is blowing bubbles for entertainment? OR, It trying to get oxygen as the levels closer to the surface usually have more oxygen content.

Maybe think about getting a starters ten gallon tank or something, when / if you ever move out, as that tank obviously restricts you greatly and as Crazee said, a general rule, the bigger the tank, the happier the fish.

This doesn't mean that fish are unhappy in smaller tanks tthough - I have an 11.1 US Gallon Tank and my fish seem very happy. :)

More room

I have to agree...you and your fish will be much happier with at least a 10 gal tank. One reason to stay away from the bowls is the small amount of surface area. The surface area or the amount of water that is exposed to air is more important than the capacity in gallons. This allows a better exchange of oxygen and will keep the fish much happier. If you are on a limited budget and are commited to keeping the comet, I would recommend one of the corner filters that is driven by an air pump. This will give you mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration. They are inexpensive and can be purchased in kit form with everything you need. Another option for a tank is one of the plastic ones that are used for a variety of pets. The ones we stock at the store are called "Critter Keepers". However, if I may make a recommendation... Due to your limited space, you might want to consider trading the comet in for a male Betta. You can safely keep the Betta in a small container with no filtration. You will have to do frequent water changes to make sure the water quality stays within acceptable parameters, but that isn't a problem with a small container. The Betta (Betta splendens), also known as the Siamese Fighting Fish, belongs to a group of fish known as anabantoids. These unique fish have an auxillary breathing organ called a labyrinth organ which allows them to breathe atmospheric air. They can also extract oxygen from the water with their gills, but not enough to sustain them. They have to sip air at the top of the tank or they will literally drown! These are truly majestic fish with long flowing fins and are available in brilliant hues of red, blue, green, and even multicolored. They prefer still water so you don't want to add an airstone to their container. Also, you can keep only one (male) Betta per container as they will fight each other to the death. I think you would find this fish much better adapted to your available space and easier to keep than the comet. A note on goldfish: They are active fish with active metabolisms. They produce a lot of waste and will grow to a large size. Hope this helps somewhat :) .
Logan J

Just to put my two cents in - I started out with a goldfish bowl and the fish died the very next day so I guess you're doing something right if that little guy is still kickin it in a jar...lol...but seriously, I eventually went to Wal-Mart and bought a 5 1/2 gallon kit. It was maybe $27 and comes with everything you need...if that's too big, I think those Sponge Bob aquariums are only like 2.5 gals so that'd be a lot smaller and they're around the same price. I just put my 5 1/2 gal on top of a dresser so it wouldn't be taking up any needed space. If you got a tank at least, you could buy him a buddy. If he seems too miserable, not to be a pessimist, I'd just flush him and put him outta his misery...

don't flush a live fish!! it's much more humane to kill him first, before he is exposed to that kind of stress and suffering, only to die anyway...water and fish chilled in freezer is commonly recommended...but if it isn't sick, why not just return it to the petstore?

two penneth worth!

Hello, i'm also another newbie, and i started with a 5 gallon tank. I've got two happy, healthy goldfish. I agree with the other guys, the 2 gallon fish bowl would suit him much better!! Surely you can find some surface room somewhere, i mean my flat aint that big,and i'm the self confessed queen of c**p!!!!!!, but i'm now looking at a 20 gallon! if the little guys had the decency to last this long, do him a good turn! :wink:

i agree with the others but feeder fish are not very good quality so i bet you would have been doing better if you had a different kind of fish.

Back
Top Bottom