Newbie Fishkeeper here, looking for a bit of advice! Its long!! Lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_B

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there!

I have been reading these forums lately, and realizing I have a lot to learn, I hope to learn from you smart individuals! You all make these forums seem like a friendly place to share and collect information for your fish friends! Hopefully I am making my first post in the correct category. I know you are all going to think how bad of a fishkeeper I am, and I will admit I am not the greatest. However, I am trying to learn and really want to keep these guys happy! Please share any thoughts or constructive criticism you can think of! I just want to say thanks in advance for reading all of this, if you decide to. You guys are great and thanks a lot for devoting your time so we can all positively benefit from this site and forum! :)

This is a long story, so read at your own risk! To my surprise, one day my girlfriend brings home an African Dwarf Frog and a Black Moor goldfish in a 5 gallon Fluva Chi tank that her coworker had owned for a while, I think she claimed around 9 months! They were given to us around Christmas time (not as a gift, lol) as my girlfriends coworker was going to be gone for some months on a work related trip to another country. At the time I thought it was acceptable, but quickly learned that they both needed a lot more space, even as little as they are. We bought a 10 gallon tank kit for the goldfish as we thought it would house him effectively for a while. I should mention that at the time we were easily convinced by the random fish store employee's advice.

The goldfish went through what I imagine to be a very rough time in the 10 gallon tank as it cycled with him in it. The ammonia was going crazy and we didn't know how much water to change or when we should change it. We started doing a 20% water change every other day (in the frogs tank too once we realized how dirty it was!) with the gravel vacuum. They seem to like it so we continue to do 20% water changes every other day, maybe missing a day rarely if we leave town for the night. Things were going fine for both of them once we got a schedule down and of course after the tank cycled. At some point we just stopped going into the two places in our town that sell fish and looking it up online because it seemed like every time they would say something different.

A month or two later, things were still doing pretty great with just the goldfish in his own tank and the frog in his own tank while doing water changes every other day or so. We got a little pleco from the fish store... I know what you are thinking; Why did you do that??? I always read about people's pleco's having really funny personalities and I think they are really cool fish! He (or she) really is a great fish and definitely my favorite out of all of our aquatic friends and we have only had him for 3 or 4 months. However, we did no research about the needs of this fish before we got it and knowing now what requirements he has I might not have gotten a common pleco, or any pleco with that small of a tank. To me, he seems healthier than he was when we brought him home. Hes definitely more out in the open and he responds with excitement when I put zucchini, cucumber, broccoli... but watermelon and peas he goes crazy for and guards it from the goldfish at times. Day or night. Its no use to put it in two areas of the tank because the goldfish eats any little pieces I put in there -- of anything -- in one bite and the pleco swims around with it in his mouth so the goldfish gets to it sometimes if the pleco lets it go, lol. Its funny cute. They are pretty small fish still so I don't put that big of pieces in there. The goldfish primarily eats bloodworms though, so does the African Dwarf Frog. It takes a bit more patience to feed the frog with the crushed frozen bloodworm cubes because most of the time the food just floats to the top of the water.

I'll try to stop blathering here, and I apologize. So, we've had the goldfish and the dwarf frog for about 6 months, each in their own tanks with a couple of plants. We've had the pleco for 3 or 4 months. I'm sorry for the vague time-span, I don't recall when exactly we got them though. They all **seem** healthy and happy but I know there are a lot of requirements we have to fulfill for these little guys. Doing lots of research lately after talking to a friend that actually knows things about fish. We have been gathering the resources to build a nice 60 gallon wood tank and plan on starting building it soon. In the meantime though we just bought a 30 gallon tank and are planning on moving both the fish and the pleco to that tank until we finish the bigger tank, which could take a little while given our current budget being set back from the work I do. Its a pretty big/expensive project, but I think it will look nicer and be a bit cheaper as we can just make most things, for instance the hood can be made out of wood.

We bought the 30 gallon tank and it turns out it only really holds 25 gallons with not even all of the decorations we want to put in there so we're going to have to do it a big differently than I imagined the "aquascape" lol. Obviously the fish need a lot of swimming room so an aquascape is kinda impractical for these guys.

The 30 gal was purchased this Monday. I immediately, that night in fact, filled it up with water and the normal stuff that we always use to make tap water safe, we just ran out though and I tossed it in the garbage already but I think its called Goldfish Protect from API . We also put the Fluval Biological Enhancer into the tank with the recommended 25ml per 10 gallons for the first step - we have 25 gallons in the new tank to start because of water displacement. The day after I put the next dose of the Bio Enhancer in at 10ml per 10 gallons. Day 3 I put the recommended dose in again and that finished the bottle perfectly. I also put some gravel that was used months ago in the 5 gallon tank, rinsed really good with no sediment, along with some gravel that was unused from beautifying the 10 gal. There is also 2 Anacharis plants in there, along with a terracotta pot and a couple rocks that were in the 10 gallon tank to hopefully swiften the cycling process. Last night, I did a water test with the API Master Test Kit, results were: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Ph is high, at least 7.4 but I hadn't yet put the driftwood I found in the tank.

Now for the questions! :D Finally! Sorry for making you read all of that, lol.

Most importantly: How long should I wait until I add my goldfish to the 30 gallon tank? And what about the pleco? Consider the last paragraph above! :)

There is often a lot of waste in the gravel substrate when doing a water change using the gravel vacuum. I imagine thats normal with the two waste producing fish I have, but doing a water change every other day or so along with an ammonia test, the ammonia is never high, rarely its a slight shade above the base yellow color for the test. Why is that? Could the fact that I've never really cleaned the filter (or the pump mechanism) add to the debris in the substrate? How long should I typically wait until I change or clean the filter really good?

What are some ways I can keep my fish tank cool during the summer? Don't these fish like cooler water temperatures? Its not even full blown summer yet and the tanks are already around 75 degrees Fahrenheit!

How long can I leave the pleco in the 30 gallon tank with just my goldfish?

How often should I change my water in the 30 gallon, at what percentage? With just the two fish in the tank.

Driftwood will in fact reduce the ph in your aquarium, right?

My goldfish lays in the plants often, and sometimes on the gravel. Is the water quality poor and/or am I overfeeding him? I'll do a test tonight, we just got the Master Test Kit last night after running out of other tests.

Weird tiny white worm things on the glass rarely. I hadn't seen them in a while but they were around for about a week. What in the world are they? :O

Which species of pleco do I have? I thought he was a Hypostomus Plecostomus but I can't really tell, lol.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures! Sorry, I had forgotten to include them in the original post! PS: its hard to take pictures with a laptop, lol.

EJ791s2.jpg

^This is the 30 gallon! Not quite finished yet.

RQVsEX8.jpg

^The goldfish named Fins swimming about in a kinda blurry picture. Frank the pleco is in the back eating some zucchini!

LYOTqVt.jpg

^A somewhat clearer shot of Frank the pleco eating the zucchini. I don't suppose you can tell what species he is? :)

Hello! I didn't have the chance to read your entire post but here's some friendly advice:

General rule for goldfish is an initial 30 gallons for one, then add 10 gallons for every additional goldfish.

A closer up shot of your pleco will definitely help! He/she is very had to see in the pictures provided.

When I get some more time I'll try to jump back on here and give some more advice :)

Caleb

Hello! I didn't have the chance to read your entire post but here's some friendly advice:

General rule for goldfish is an initial 30 gallons for one, then add 10 gallons for every additional goldfish.

A closer up shot of your pleco will definitely help! He/she is very had to see in the pictures provided.

When I get some more time I'll try to jump back on here and give some more advice :)

Caleb

Hey there Caleb! :)

Thanks for the reply! I unfortunately can't really do much better right at the moment than a 30 gallon tank. It might seem cruel reading this, because it certainly does typing it, but they might have to hold out in the 30 gal for a little while while we get the big tank setup. That could take a while! I did read on another forum though that goldfish do require 30 gallons minimally. However I already have the fishes and giving any of them to my local fish store would just be a death sentence. I do appreciate the concern there though and we are in a predicament aren't we!

I will try and get a better picture of Frank once my girlfriend gets home with a better camera device, lol!

Thanks again for the help! Hope you have a good day!

hey there, is this the same poster from the other thread about being paranoid?

the tank is very over stocked....i know you're trying to do the right thing so, i want to be helpful. you should take that common pleco back to the fish store. for a fish like that you would want a tank of 90 gallons or more. they get huge and produce a lot of waste, as do the gold fish.

the little white worms you are noticing are possibly planaria. they are often the result of overfeeding.

it is good that you are showing zero ammonia, and zero nitrites, but the zero nitrates is concerning, and tells me that your tank is not cycled....and makes me wonder about the other zero readings. there should be some nitrates.

i am interested in hearing about your test results with the api master kit. be sure to shake that nitrate bottle #2 reallllllly well. were you using test strips previously?

i may have misread that post. i thought you said it was a common.

can you get a closer picture of the pleco? i cant even see it in the photo you posted.

i may have misread that post. i thought you said it was a common.

can you get a closer picture of the pleco? i cant even see it in the photo you posted.

Hey there Thing Fish! Thanks for your replies! I really appreciate the thought.

This is my first few forum posts I've ever made, friend! Nope, I'm not the same person hehe. I have though always thought about posting here but never had. I'm glad I finally did!

While I do realize that the 10 gallon tank is overstocked, and we are trying to fix that problem by giving them a bit of extra space while we work on building the big fish tank I talked about before. However that could take us a couple months as we don't have a set budget on it. We are in the process of gathering materials at least. Not to dissuade from the subject too much, if I decide to keep them in the 30 gallon would you still consider that to be overstocked with just those two fish? I'm personally pretty satisfied with the two fish we have and have no desire to get any more fishes, especially if that means these two will live healthy and happy for a couple of months.

The white worm things, the Planaria... Frank the pleco seemed to like to eat them off of the glass. I've read that they aren't harmful to your fish. Is it something I should be worried about? I had not seen them in a few weeks though if that makes the matter any better.

Before we were regularly just taking ammonia readings and doing a water change. We recently discovered the importance of the water chemistry. I'll do another test for everything with the Master Test Kit just after I'm finished typing this reply and let you know the results. I'll do both tanks even. Yes, after shaking the heck out of Nitrate bottle #2! :)

As for pictures of Frank the pleco, here they are! Hopefully they are better, but if you would like me to take them at a different angle I could totally try! He gets shy when you hover over the tank, lol.

Nl8pSrT.jpg

HAkLajG.jpg

3rd time posting this! :p Haha... hope it actually posts this time!

your story is pretty much identical to a thread from a couple days ago.

i think you could probably get away with the two moors in a 30 without the pleco, but you should consider others' advice, as i have not kept them.

any pleco is a poop machine, as are your two gold fish.

your story is pretty much identical to a thread from a couple days ago.

i think you could probably get away with the two moors in a 30 without the pleco, but you should consider others' advice, as i have not kept them.

any pleco is a poop machine, as are your two gold fish.

We only have one Moor, friend! :cool: What if I just had the single pleco in the 30 gallon tank? I know a friend that the Black Moor might like to live in the pond hes started.

As for the poo problem... well, there is no avoiding that! I experience a ton of poo in the substrate when I am cleaning the gravel. They really can dish it out, lol...

I hesitate to get rid of the pleco, I know he would just die if we gave him back to the fish store we got him from. Unfortunately...

Rehoming fish seems to be pretty difficult. If they could wait until we get the big tank built, that would be ideal... but we have no real time frame which is starting to worry me.

Thanks again for all of your help! :)

Hey there!

Now for the questions! :D Finally! Sorry for making you read all of that, lol.

Most importantly: How long should I wait until I add my goldfish to the 30 gallon tank? And what about the pleco? Consider the last paragraph above! :)

There is often a lot of waste in the gravel substrate when doing a water change using the gravel vacuum. I imagine thats normal with the two waste producing fish I have, but doing a water change every other day or so along with an ammonia test, the ammonia is never high, rarely its a slight shade above the base yellow color for the test. Why is that? Could the fact that I've never really cleaned the filter (or the pump mechanism) add to the debris in the substrate? How long should I typically wait until I change or clean the filter really good?

What are some ways I can keep my fish tank cool during the summer? Don't these fish like cooler water temperatures? Its not even full blown summer yet and the tanks are already around 75 degrees Fahrenheit!

How long can I leave the pleco in the 30 gallon tank with just my goldfish?

How often should I change my water in the 30 gallon, at what percentage? With just the two fish in the tank.

Driftwood will in fact reduce the ph in your aquarium, right?

My goldfish lays in the plants often, and sometimes on the gravel. Is the water quality poor and/or am I overfeeding him? I'll do a test tonight, we just got the Master Test Kit last night after running out of other tests.

Weird tiny white worm things on the glass rarely. I hadn't seen them in a while but they were around for about a week. What in the world are they? :O

Which species of pleco do I have? I thought he was a Hypostomus Plecostomus but I can't really tell, lol.

I'm back!!! ;) here's what I meant to answer earlier.

1. I would add your goldfish ASAP. Goldfish grow quick and like every other fish, if they are in too small of a tank it can stunt their growth leading to a premature death because their insides will keep growing but the outside will stop because of the tank size.

2. You have 2 high waste fish in a small tank. It's going to be very hard to keep the ammonia down even if the tank is fully cycled. I clean my filters once every one to two months. I'm also not overstocked though so you may have to clean it more often. *****Always clean your filter in tank water!***** that is crucial. Tap water will kill your bacteria. Also only change your filter pads if they are literally falling apart. If your pad looks like it's on its last leg, add in a new pad for about a month before removing the old. This will preserve your cycle on the new pad.

3. Keeping your tank cool is quite hard. If you can't keep the house cool enough for them you are going to run into trouble.

4. I would change 50% twice a week as needed. I say this because your tank is showing signs of ammonia. It may only be two fish, but these are high waste fish.

5. Yes driftwood will lower pH. It also acts as a natural buffer though for your pH and is part of the pleco's diet.

6. My fish will rest in my plants but not lay on them (except the loaches lol). Does he look bloated? That could be a sign of over feeding.

7. That's great you have a master test kit. If you ever have tank problems it is your best friend.

8. I have no idea on the worms honestly. Try google or posting a new thread with a picture of them.

9. If you want my honest opinion.. You say budget is an issue correct? I would take back the pleco and the goldfish and invest in a heater and go tropical. A 30g can easily support some schools of tropical fish instead of just 2 cold water fish. This would also be ideal since your tank stays warm anyway. I keep my tropicals at 75.

From what I can tell you have a Common Pleco, the stripes on his sail match and the overall pattern from the pictures I've looked at. That being said, you need to return him. They need huge tanks(100+ gallons), produce a ton of waste, and get up to 20 inches if kept healthy.

You can keep the Goldfish alone or I think if you doubled up on filtration you could do a dojo loach. They are also cold water as well. I own 2 and they are my hands down favorite fish. Playful and always active. Mine eat straight from my hand.

Personally I would go tropical though because of maintaining tank temperature.

Oh and if you are not convinced here's my dojo loaches:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430532007.496638.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430532024.798784.jpg

Caleb

I'm going to give you a solid idea of why the pleco really has to go:
jpglensaebigfish35418.jpg

They get HUGE. I had one myself- in a 150 gallon. We gave it away to someone with a monster predator tank when we moved.

Honestly, without the pleco, your goldfish will be ok in the 30 gallon.

We only have one Moor, friend! :cool: What if I just had the single pleco in the 30 gallon tank? I know a friend that the Black Moor might like to live in the pond hes started.

hey sorry about that, i was totally mixing up threads...your post just reminded me of this one from the other day:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/am-i-being-paranoid-335184.html

my apologies...i was not reading close enough. i still say that the pleco should be rehoused, but i should have read your post more carefully.

I'm going to give you a solid idea of why the pleco really has to go:
jpglensaebigfish35418.jpg

They get HUGE. I had one myself- in a 150 gallon. We gave it away to someone with a monster predator tank when we moved.

Honestly, without the pleco, your goldfish will be ok in the 30 gallon.

Hey there Sinibotia!

Thanks a lot for your reply! Sorry for the delay too!

Wow, you had just one pleco in 150 gallons? :eek: That seems like a monster indeed, lol! I hope someday I could be capable of having fishes like that. Thanks for sharing that with me!

Its unfortunate that even in a 60 gallon tank that one pleco couldn't live. I am already pretty attached to him and if we couldn't find him a good home, I'm not sure what I would do. I do not trust in the local fish store enough that they would not kill my pleco shortly after he arrived to be back for sale again. We got him in worse condition, at least I think we did, than he is in now and definitely SEEMS to be happier. Not to disregard what you had said at all! I am going to try and find Frank the pleco a good home as well as Fins the goldfish. I think a good friend of mine might take him for the pond fishes, but I had not talked to him about it at all and don't know the compatibility of the fish. Worse comes to worst, it looks like I will be trying to find both fish an immediate good home. Neither of us want them to suffer. Both my girlfriend and myself have put a lot of effort into keeping these guys happy and it kinda made me tear up reading that we have to give him away. I'm sure you know the feeling, lol!

In the meantime though, would it be okay to keep Frank the pleco in the 30 gallon for a bit while I do actually find them a place to live? I imagine a 30 gallon opposed to a 10 gallon would be a lot better! We are still planning on making a bigger tank, but I really want to keep plecos. They are such cool creatures. I only ask if Frank could be a candidate for a short term stay in the 30 gallon because I might be able to find Fins the goldfish a good place to be at relatively quickly. Emphasis on might, but its likely. If not, how long could they be okay in the 30 gallon together if I was diligent on making sure the chemistry of the water is great as well as doing regular water changes?

We would really like to keep plecos. How large of a tank would you suggest I keep a pair of Bristlenose plecos for their lifetime, comfortably and happily.

Thanks again for your advice! We appreciate it! :)

I'm back!!! ;) here's what I meant to answer earlier.

1. I would add your goldfish ASAP. Goldfish grow quick and like every other fish, if they are in too small of a tank it can stunt their growth leading to a premature death because their insides will keep growing but the outside will stop because of the tank size.

2. You have 2 high waste fish in a small tank. It's going to be very hard to keep the ammonia down even if the tank is fully cycled. I clean my filters once every one to two months. I'm also not overstocked though so you may have to clean it more often. *****Always clean your filter in tank water!***** that is crucial. Tap water will kill your bacteria. Also only change your filter pads if they are literally falling apart. If your pad looks like it's on its last leg, add in a new pad for about a month before removing the old. This will preserve your cycle on the new pad.

3. Keeping your tank cool is quite hard. If you can't keep the house cool enough for them you are going to run into trouble.

4. I would change 50% twice a week as needed. I say this because your tank is showing signs of ammonia. It may only be two fish, but these are high waste fish.

5. Yes driftwood will lower pH. It also acts as a natural buffer though for your pH and is part of the pleco's diet.

6. My fish will rest in my plants but not lay on them (except the loaches lol). Does he look bloated? That could be a sign of over feeding.

7. That's great you have a master test kit. If you ever have tank problems it is your best friend.

8. I have no idea on the worms honestly. Try google or posting a new thread with a picture of them.

9. If you want my honest opinion.. You say budget is an issue correct? I would take back the pleco and the goldfish and invest in a heater and go tropical. A 30g can easily support some schools of tropical fish instead of just 2 cold water fish. This would also be ideal since your tank stays warm anyway. I keep my tropicals at 75.

From what I can tell you have a Common Pleco, the stripes on his sail match and the overall pattern from the pictures I've looked at. That being said, you need to return him. They need huge tanks(100+ gallons), produce a ton of waste, and get up to 20 inches if kept healthy.

You can keep the Goldfish alone or I think if you doubled up on filtration you could do a dojo loach. They are also cold water as well. I own 2 and they are my hands down favorite fish. Playful and always active. Mine eat straight from my hand.

Personally I would go tropical though because of maintaining tank temperature.

Oh and if you are not convinced here's my dojo loaches:
View attachment 271442
View attachment 271443

Caleb

Hey there again Caleb! :)

Thanks a lot for replying again! Everything you said was super helpful. I love the thought of those Loaches! They are really awesome looking creatures! I like that you brought up that they were playful and fun creatures to have. That is what I love most about Frank the pleco is he is so funny and fun to watch. He's always doing some amazing aquabatic stunts! I also think its awesome that they eat from your hand! Super fun! Thanks for sharing that with me! :popcorn:

I thought we could keep him for a little while longer and actually accomodate Frank the pleco for a while longer, now that time will be spent finding him a great place to be it seems. Maybe when we get the bigger tank finishes we could have a pair of Bristlenose plecos? I read that they don't get as big and don't need as big of a tank size. But that was asked in my last post so I'm not going to go into it again, lol.

Having only two fish isn't really a problem as they are kinda part of the family now and have our own little routines with eachother, for a lack of better words. If I could I would really just keep the two. I have read however that goldfish and plecos aren't the best tankmates because if the pleco is hungry enough he can cause harm to the goldfish. Same with the goldfish to the pleco, he can bug him and stress the pleco out enough to stop eating and die. Thats just what I have read though.

Thanks again for the other helpful facts about keeping my aquarium! :) I appreciate it so much. I'm going to read your post again and make sure there is nothing left out. Its taking a while tonight for us to make dinner and I had not run any tests on the tanks like I said I would, but I will get to it shortly after dinner is consumed! The fish ate before we did today. :p

Hey there Sinibotia!

Thanks a lot for your reply! Sorry for the delay too!

Wow, you had just one pleco in 150 gallons? :eek: That seems like a monster indeed, lol! I hope someday I could be capable of having fishes like that. Thanks for sharing that with me!

Its unfortunate that even in a 60 gallon tank that one pleco couldn't live. I am already pretty attached to him and if we couldn't find him a good home, I'm not sure what I would do. I do not trust in the local fish store enough that they would not kill my pleco shortly after he arrived to be back for sale again. We got him in worse condition, at least I think we did, than he is in now and definitely SEEMS to be happier. Not to disregard what you had said at all! I am going to try and find Frank the pleco a good home as well as Fins the goldfish. I think a good friend of mine might take him for the pond fishes, but I had not talked to him about it at all and don't know the compatibility of the fish. Worse comes to worst, it looks like I will be trying to find both fish an immediate good home. Neither of us want them to suffer. Both my girlfriend and myself have put a lot of effort into keeping these guys happy and it kinda made me tear up reading that we have to give him away. I'm sure you know the feeling, lol!

In the meantime though, would it be okay to keep Frank the pleco in the 30 gallon for a bit while I do actually find them a place to live? I imagine a 30 gallon opposed to a 10 gallon would be a lot better! We are still planning on making a bigger tank, but I really want to keep plecos. They are such cool creatures. I only ask if Frank could be a candidate for a short term stay in the 30 gallon because I might be able to find Fins the goldfish a good place to be at relatively quickly. Emphasis on might, but its likely. If not, how long could they be okay in the 30 gallon together if I was diligent on making sure the chemistry of the water is great as well as doing regular water changes?

We would really like to keep plecos. How large of a tank would you suggest I keep a pair of Bristlenose plecos for their lifetime, comfortably and happily.

Thanks again for your advice! We appreciate it! :)
I totally get it, giving up a fish you're attached to sucks. Our old pleco was named "The Airplane" because he would swoop across the tank with his massive fins all stretched out like airplane wings. I hated letting him go :( But sometimes what's best for the fish really sucks to do :(

Your pleco should be fine in a 30 gallon until you can find him a home. Mine was in a 55 gallon for quite a while before he got moved. As far as bristlenose plecos- you could easily keep a pair for their whole life and even breed them in a 30 gallon tank.

One more question if either of you don't mind! How do I encourage my 30 gallon tank to cycle? Does the Fluval Biological Enhancer really work and make it safe for my fish to go into the tank sooner rather than waiting a longer period of time? Thats the only thing I have put into the tank so far besides the Goldfish Protect and when I changed 5/25 gallons of water yesterday to get some of the debris off of the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that or not, but it didn't look very nice, lol.

Thanks again! You guys are the best! :)

I totally get it, giving up a fish you're attached to sucks. Our old pleco was named "The Airplane" because he would swoop across the tank with his massive fins all stretched out like airplane wings. I hated letting him go :( But sometimes what's best for the fish really sucks to do :(

Your pleco should be fine in a 30 gallon until you can find him a home. Mine was in a 55 gallon for quite a while before he got moved. As far as bristlenose plecos- you could easily keep a pair for their whole life and even breed them in a 30 gallon tank.

Haha, thats cute man... really cute! The Airplane! :D At least I will be able to keep him temporarily in the tank we have now. Ideally we can find someone that will let him live a good life, ya know! He's definitely deserving of it. The sadness is slightly overwhelmed with the excitement that my fishes will find a better home than I can give them... I could probably never have a 100+ gallon tank for everyone anytime soon, none the less inside my apartment, lol. Its also exciting that we have the possibility to continue to keep plecos and have a pair of Bristlenose plecos! It would be justified especially if we could find the current fishes a good home!

Thanks again, you have been very kind! :thanks:

I'll keep you updated! Its dinner time now though! :) Rejoice!

One more question if either of you don't mind! How do I encourage my 30 gallon tank to cycle? Does the Fluval Biological Enhancer really work and make it safe for my fish to go into the tank sooner rather than waiting a longer period of time? Thats the only thing I have put into the tank so far besides the Goldfish Protect and when I changed 5/25 gallons of water yesterday to get some of the debris off of the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that or not, but it didn't look very nice, lol.

Thanks again! You guys are the best! :)

Take some seeded filter media from your established tank and put it in the filter of the new tank. This will help it cycle faster.

Caleb

Take some seeded filter media from your established tank and put it in the filter of the new tank. This will help it cycle faster.

Caleb

Hey again Caleb!

Thanks again for all of your replies. You have been quite a big help! I also apologize for my late response.

How would I take some of the filter media out of the established tank? The only filter I have is already in use and its really not that large. I've read that some people cut a piece off but that would ruin the filter, right? Just wondering how people usually do it is all. If you have an idea on how to do it I would appreciate a tip! :)

Here are the results of last nights water test in the 30 gallon tank. I'm not sure if the Nitrate reading looks any different than it did last night, I should have taken a picture then to compare. I shook the heck out of bottle #2 like suggested! Is that a minimally positive result? I can't tell...

uCJno2m.jpg

I've been looking around at tanks just to see what is out there. I feel like I wasted money on a brand new tank now that I am seeing all of the great deals on Craigslist. I could have gotten a 100 gallon tank with a stand and a bunch of equipment for around $100. At least there are a few great looking deals right now from private sellers. That is what I paid for the 30 gallon kit, and it doesn't really even hold 30 gallons of water. :banghead:

I'm reading that a 100 gallon glass tank weighs almost 200 pounds empty. Full weighing over 1100 pounds! Lets be realistic here... are those tanks meant to be in a forever spot to stay where they are? I imagine it would be a real hardship to move the tank, even with 10% of the water in it. Will tanks typically withstand any water weight while you lift and carry it? Would it need additional support on the bottom of the glass tank in order to move it, even with minimal water in there? How much water do you think I could leave in a tank that size and be able to move it to our next house? I'm trying to think ahead here because we live in apartment and do not plan on staying there forever. In fact our lease is up in August and we are planning on moving to a bigger place, if not a house.

I'm going to be going to a good friend of mine's house today. He has a freshwater pond type setup. He knows a bit about fish and if the conditions are right for Fins the goldfish, he might have a new home setup. Perhaps there is too much optimism, lol. Either way, they are already in the rehoming process... we feel guilty about their poor conditions.

Sorry about all of the questions! And if anyone else has a say in this, please contribute if you feel like it!

Hope you are having a great day! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom