newbie getting 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorihallfrisch

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI. I think I did an intro somewhere. I am new to tanks. It all started by getting 2 -39 cent goldfish for my little fountain. I soon found they were dirty and crowded. I added a 10 gallon aquarium (a freebie that came with a 3 " fancy gold fish.I bought a lite and air pump amd filter for them and now am hooked. Wil be picking up an older 55 gallon marineland with stand for $100. I actually wanted bigger but think it was a good deal and not bad for a starter tank??
so my uestion..with a 10 gallon that is now staying very clean and the 2 little goldfish and the bigger fancy one..and a new to me 55 gal tank..what would you do? I really want some tropical fresh water fish. Angel fish for sure. I do not want to overstock but I want it lively. and I have heard that mixing goldfish and tropical is a no no.
Do you think i can keep my goldfish in the 10 and then do rtropical in the 55? What woul dbe a good combination with angel fish? thanks so much. This is just plain fun!

I vote no in keeping the goldies in a tank that size. Its 20G for the first and 10G for everyone after that. either rehome the goldies or put them in the 55.

I may have to rehome them or buy another 40 gallon tank. Can see how this can become an addiction. as for the tropical tank..I looked up a link and have found some fish i like.and some i don't. any advice on them appreciated.I looked up compatible with angel fish. didnt like mollies, plato or pleckos. or corey
did like tetras rainbow raspore swordtails
not on the compatible list liked coaches hatchets and loved discus almost as much as angel fish
soooooo help?

lorihallfrisch said:
I may have to rehome them or buy another 40 gallon tank. Can see how this can become an addiction. as for the tropical tank..I looked up a link and have found some fish i like.and some i don't. any advice on them appreciated.I looked up compatible with angel fish. didnt like mollies, plato or pleckos. or corey
did like tetras rainbow raspore swordtails
not on the compatible list liked coaches hatchets and loved discus almost as much as angel fish
soooooo help?

I don't recommend a discus, though I've never had one i've heard that they are not a good beginner fish. An angelfish should be fine, you have allot if options when it comes to community fish. My Angel is kept in my community of platies, guppies, tetras, & balloon Mollies. But I'm mostly livebearer in my community..... Well except for my tetras

Rummy nose tetras! Also, I am planning on getting some hatchets. I know nothing about the goldfish. But I wouldn't rule out the cories too quickly. There r many different kinds, they are no trouble, and they r fun to watch if u have enough of them (6). I have built my column tank around one old angelfish, so I have done a ton of research on tank mates for angels.

thanks for the responses.
I thought I read angelfish will eat tetras.
I know in my tank 39 years ago..which was my last one...I had I think like 5 angels and some small fish.
I know I want angels or the other angel shaped fish. what would be some good ideas for a 55 gallon? Also what would be best airpump and filter system> I know the tank has them but not sure what kinds.

I have a marineland c220, a Fluval c4, and a 24 watt green killing machine. I have a 56 gallon column tank, and my water looks pretty nice.

thanks for the responses.
I thought I read angelfish will eat tetras.
I know in my tank 39 years ago..which was my last one...I had I think like 5 angels and some small fish.
I know I want angels or the other angel shaped fish. what would be some good ideas for a 55 gallon? Also what would be best airpump and filter system> I know the tank has them but not sure what kinds.

I've been debating angels and have been reading up on them a bit lately. Seems the big thing with tetras is to be sure they won't fit in the angels mouth. It's simple enough when they are cute little 1 or so inch fish at the petstore but when they get full grown they will pretty much each what ever fits in their mouth. Means havoc for smaller tetras like Neons or cardinals but your larger varieties should fare well, like black skirts. How many angels were you planning? I don't think you have enough space for more than 2 when they are full grown but also read that sometimes they can become aggressive once they pair up.

Some options you can consider are cherry bards, black skirt tetras, congo tetras, khuli loaches, cory cats, rams(though not hardy or recommended for beginners). I've also heard luck with Dwarf gourami too, though this combo could be pretty hit or miss on both parties and I'd want a back up plan in case things go south.

are their dwarf angels or some smaller hardy fish that are pretty like angels but don't get so big?

I have neons in my community with my Angel, he doesn't pay any mind to them at all. I think the big thing with angels is that they can get territorial especially a mated pair. They will establish a territory in the tank and can be aggressive with any fish in that territory

are their dwarf angels or some smaller hardy fish that are pretty like angels but don't get so big?

I can't really think of anything that has the look of an angel... maybe some bigger fish that have similarities in body shape but nothing smaller. Silver dollars and discus but that are all similar in size and discus are pretty touchy fish, take some experience.

You do have tons of options for nice looking fish though. Here are a couple, with some links to give you an idea of their look. I'd suggest if anything strikes your interest to look into them a little more.

Boesemani Rainbow
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Boesemani Rainbow

various gourami - most of these could work
Gouramis: Dwarf Gouramis and other Gourami Fish Species

hatchet fish are neat
Hatchets

Hatchets

Bleeding heart tetras
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Bleeding Heart Tetra

Angels aren't out of the question of course, you just need to do some good planning. You could most likely pull off a successful tank with just one angel and some other suitable sized fish. Just need to think about the future, full grown size of the fish and it's always good to have a back up plan incase you get a fish that just doesn't like others.

Again, I've never owned an angel just sharing what I've learned and read. In the end every fish has their own personality and what may work for someone else may not work for you. I remember a woman I babysat for in my teens had an angel in a tank with 2 bala sharks. I don't know the size of the tank but it certainly wasn't what would have been recommended to house all 3 and it worked out fine for her. I babysat for her for a few years and they were huge when I started and were still going strong when I stopped.

I am going to look at another 55 gal tank today. I dont really want the fish that come with it because I still want angels and thought with 2 tanks I could get angels etc in one..and use the other 55 for my goldfish. the tank I am going to see has a yellow blue and carrot chiclid 2 dragon and 2 allegy eaters. Are these fish going to outgrow this tank? I do not want to buy another (3rd)tank

Just bought a "55 gallon" column tank..that when I put in the inches is really a 38 gallon. I hate folks that will rip ya off.
so what I will end up with is a 10g, 38g column and will be picking up a 55..which i hope is REALLY a 55.
I have 1 fancy goldfish who I love..and several comets..which i hope to put in a pond, and maybe 5 chiclids,and misc that came with the 38 g. which I only really like the parrot fish and dolphin and yellow lab. AND I want angels (would prefer a pair) So..with what I have and what I want..what should I be looking for. It will be my last tank..for sure
And thanks so much to all of you who take the time to help us newbies:>)

i have it figured out I think. 4 fancy goldfish in the 55,
a pair of angels and my parrot chiclid and 1 pleco in the 38 column
and the miscellaneous chiclids( 1 lab, 1 bumble bee, 1 blue dolphin, a pleco. and the birchir in the 55.
does this sound reasonable?

and the miscellaneous chiclids( 1 lab, 1 bumble bee, 1 blue dolphin, a pleco. and the birchir in the 55.

I really don't know a lot about cichlids so I can't say for certain.. but I think this is ok..

lorihallfrisch said:

I believe that the parrot cichlids and the angelfish would be ok as long as they enough space to develop territories without being on top of each other. I cannot tell you for sure about the others

Back
Top Bottom