Newbie. Here is my setup. A few questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chan168

Aquarium Advice Newbie
There is still a lot for me to read and learn, so any experts out there that can give me a hand, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just purchased a 29 gallon tank. I also have a HOT Magnum filter.
I used the Micron Water Polishing for 3 days then changed over to the Regular 2 Stage Filter. Then I used salt, stress coat, and then stress zyme for 3 more days.

Today I went to the fish store (fishtown-usa.com) and I spoke to the one of the clerks. I read that you are only supposed to have 1 goldfish per 10 gallon tank (to me that doesn't make sense because i have a 29 gallon tank and I can only have 3 goldfish. I am getting baby ones and it wouldn't look nice to just have 3 small little goldfish for a 29 gallon tank). The clerk said I can get more since they are small. I ended up buying 9 goldfishes comprised of orandas and lionheads. I also brought a live plant and 2 cories to help clean the tank.

Questions:
1) So far what I am doing, is it ok?
2) How fast does the goldfish grow?
3) I didn't test the water yet. It is kind of late because I already brought fish. How often do I need to test the water?
4) How often do I need to recycle the water?
5) What else do I need to do? I don't want the fish to die all of a sudden.
6) I also have a heater. Temp right now is at 78 degrees. I read that it is not necessary to have the temp on or should I?
7) How about the light? Leave it on or turn it on at night?
8) Do I need to purchase any thing additional to what I have?

Thank you.

In my opinion, your tank i s a bit overstocked currently. Could you return some of the goldfish? Some Goldfish must go when grown more. Goldfish grow quickly. And be expected for deaths. This is because the Goldfish produce lots of ammonia, and seeing that they are put straight into a new uncycled tank, it will be too much bio load. As a result, there could be lots of ammonia built up too quickly, causing cloudy water, sickness or death. Read the article on cycling in the articles section. To get rid of ammonia you may have to do changes every day. Stress zyme didn't help in cycling for me. The only product proven to help cycling id Bio-Spira. It will be beneficial if you purchase it.

I also see a problem in your choice of fish. Goldfish are coldwater fish and cory cats are tropical fish. The heated water could be fatal for the goldfish, but unheated water could be fatal for the catfish. You can't really keep tropical and coldwater species together. Cories or the goldfish will have to go.

With Live plants, leave light for 10hrs per day.

I will go right against the grain here......

one one hand.......
If your goldfish and tropicals are co-operating I wouldn't worry too much. I have seen first hand goldfish living in tropical weather with water temps above 30deg C for extended periods. Not only were the goldfish healthy and thriving, they grew very fast. Unless you have delicate goldfish, they are quite hardy beasts.BTW I don't know how delcate your goldfish are......

However, they (goldfish) are dirty and if you monitor the nitrate level (after cycling is finished) you should be ok. If you are cycling with that many fish you will need to test daily and probably to like 30% a day to keep ammonia down.

on the other hand....
If your lfs will take the cory's back do it. You got them to clean scraps. Goldfish will do that. I hope the plant isn't too delicate. Goldfish will gobble plants up if the leaves are not to big or hard for their mouths. With only goldfish there is no real need to heat the tank, cutting down on the expense.

It really depends what you are after.

You do need to read posts on cycling the new tank though, do a search to find relevent posts.

IMO chan, you've got a recipe for disaster. The impending ammonia and nitrite spikes from that many fish in an uncycled tank will more than likely be fatal.

As mattrox says you should read up on cycling. Goldfish are unique in the aquarium world because they can handle a very wide range of temps. The thing is, their metabolic activity increases at higher temps (like 78). This means that they will eat more, produce more waste, and require O2 rich water. Thus poisoning themselves even faster.

I would unplug the heater, take back the cories, and buy test kits for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. You should also buy a good dechlorinator. At first sign of ammonia, I'd begin doing daily 50% water changes. JMO

Although mattrox went against the grain...I have to move back to it. Goldfish and tropicals just don't mix for a variety of reasons, not just temp. Plus, you are at the beginning stage of your cycle. The cories will not survive the combination of the cycle and not having enough nourishment.

I have been to Fishtown USA and I'm surprised that they gave you this conflicting advice (Fishtown BTW is one of the best LFS in NYC, despite being in Queens).

At this point, you should reconsider the type of tank you want (goldy or tropical). Then decide what types of fish you want to stock.

this is what happened to me a while back...i wanted a fish tank so off the the lfs i went...(before i knew anything about fish) they sold me a 5gal kit tank and they recommended 2 red cap orandas for that size of tank...somehow i managed to talk the guy into giving me just one...tested my water daily...day 5 only and i had 5ppm nitrites...that very same day i realised the fish caught ich so he died later on that day... :( ...so i have to agree...goldies do need at least 10 gal of water each...

Yeah the guy at the store told me to pick up the cories. I actually wanted to get a pleco or something like that. I can try returning the cories and get something else. My fishtank is going to look kind of boring with only 3 goldfishes. Cycling water "everyday" will not be a very fun job and I would make me dislike having fish. But why when you go to any lfs you find tons of fish in the tank, but they can survive like that. What else can I do? What kind of fish goes with goldfish?

You have a unique opportunity to change your mind at this point. You have all the equipment necessary to go tropical instead of goldie. It is for this very reason (limited # of goldies per gal) that people decide to go with tropicals (1" of fish per gal).

That being said, you can have your cories, pleco and several tropicals in a 29gal tank.

There are many tropical varieties to choose from. You can research them here: http://www.fishprofiles.com.

But why when you go to any lfs you find tons of fish in the tank, but they can survive like that.

They won't. Sadly, fish that are not purchased and linger in these conditions will not live a full life. LFS overstock their tanks because they are relying on consumers to come in and deplete this number quickly. :(

chan168 said:
I read that you are only supposed to have 1 goldfish per 10 gallon tank (to me that doesn't make sense because i have a 29 gallon tank and I can only have 3 goldfish. I am getting baby ones and it wouldn't look nice to just have 3 small little goldfish for a 29 gallon tank).

I can understand your frustration with having three tiny fish in that seemingly huge tank, but consider this analogy based partly on experience :oops: :
Suppose you have a 3 x 3 foot garden, and you plan to plant begonias. You're told to plant the seedlings 8 to 10 inches apart - that's 16 plants. You do this and are disappointed to see alot of bare earth, so you get another 32 seedlings to fill in - you now have a begonia seedling spaced every three inches. Your garden looks great, and it's only May.
Your neighbor plants an identical garden, but follows the prescribed spacing. Come July, both of your gardens are equally covered - your neighbor's plants have grown to fill in the voids. However, your plants don't look as vibrant as your neighbor's - the leaves are dull and there aren't as many blossoms. You've also lost a large number of seedlings. Your neighbor's garden, a mere 16 plants, has grown into a 9 square foot hedge that is covered with flowers.

Back
Top Bottom