Newbie in need of EXPERT advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenyJenz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

First post here....so I got a 75 gallon bowfront freshwater aquarium. I would like to eventually add some African Cichlids and other medium sized fish. I am currently in the beginning stages of cycling but am confused! I usually research EVERYTHING especially before buying but I must admit this hobby is intense! I'm beginning to think that I definitely bit off more than I could chew but the more and more I read on fish hobbyists I am intimidated but yet I can't stop. I would love to have my tank looking good and having healthy fish as well which is why I want to do things right.

Currently my set up is a 75 gallon tank. I put in black aquarium sand, real aquarium plants (not sure which as I threw out the labels), and several decorative pieces. I also hooked up a Fluval 406 filter to it and the tank is drilled.

My current dilemma is:

1. What chemicals do I need to get this baby going? I read that I will need bacteria, stress coat, stress zyme, and aquarium salt. I also got an ammonia reader and ph level reader as I did not want to bother with the strips. Can you advise as to what other chemical to get for the start up of the tank as well as maintainment of the tank?

2. I read that fishless cycles are better and faster. Any advice as to where to get the ammonia for this and how to do this in Layman's terms? Ive looked it up but all articles assume all fish owners already know the terminology.

3. I also looked up regarding the need for an air pump and am getting mixed reviews. I personally dont have the "waterfall" effect due to having the tank drilled but there is some flow due to the blowing in of the cycled water (if that made sense...). Should I get an air pump or not? what is its purpose and if so, what size?

4. I want to get several african cihlids, one or two synodontis catfish, and one medium sized cichlid like a electric blue jack dempsey. questions are: are all these compatible (Ive seen them as tankmates before), what should be my limit for the africans in a 75 gal, and can I have two EBJD?

Thanks in advance for all of your responses. They are IMMENSELY appreciated as I am just starting up and want to ensure Im doing things right.

Hello , that is a great size tank to start with, easier than a small one. All you need is Sea chem prime to dechlorinate or another type of dechlorinator, prime is the best IMO , a water testing kit, API seems to be the best, and just cycle your tank properly. You can do a fishless cycle or fish in, there are articles here or in the web about cycling a tank. If you choose to do fish in cycle be sure not to put too many fish in during the cycle or it can get out of hand quick, good luck with everything and if you have any questions be sure to ask.

To answer your questions about fishless cycle, most people seem to get their ammonia from ACE hardware, be careful that it is pure ammonia , most ammonia cleaners have other chemicals or scents in it. You can throw a raw shrimp in your tank to produce ammonia also , it works good too.

Also a air pump is really good to have especially if you have a deep tank or have to crank up the heat to treat ich.

JenyJenz said:
Hello all,

First post here....so I got a 75 gallon bowfront freshwater aquarium. I would like to eventually add some African Cichlids and other medium sized fish. I am currently in the beginning stages of cycling but am confused! I usually research EVERYTHING especially before buying but I must admit this hobby is intense! I'm beginning to think that I definitely bit off more than I could chew but the more and more I read on fish hobbyists I am intimidated but yet I can't stop. I would love to have my tank looking good and having healthy fish as well which is why I want to do things right.

Currently my set up is a 75 gallon tank. I put in black aquarium sand, real aquarium plants (not sure which as I threw out the labels), and several decorative pieces. I also hooked up a Fluval 406 filter to it and the tank is drilled.

My current dilemma is:

1. What chemicals do I need to get this baby going? I read that I will need bacteria, stress coat, stress zyme, and aquarium salt. I also got an ammonia reader and ph level reader as I did not want to bother with the strips. Can you advise as to what other chemical to get for the start up of the tank as well as maintainment of the tank?

2. I read that fishless cycles are better and faster. Any advice as to where to get the ammonia for this and how to do this in Layman's terms? Ive looked it up but all articles assume all fish owners already know the terminology.

3. I also looked up regarding the need for an air pump and am getting mixed reviews. I personally dont have the "waterfall" effect due to having the tank drilled but there is some flow due to the blowing in of the cycled water (if that made sense...). Should I get an air pump or not? what is its purpose and if so, what size?

4. I want to get several african cihlids, one or two synodontis catfish, and one medium sized cichlid like a electric blue jack dempsey. questions are: are all these compatible (Ive seen them as tankmates before), what should be my limit for the africans in a 75 gal, and can I have two EBJD?

Thanks in advance for all of your responses. They are IMMENSELY appreciated as I am just starting up and want to ensure Im doing things right.

1: No chemicals, just a bottle of SeaChem Prime water conditioner. This is to remove the chlorine, chloramines and other stuff from your tap water. You will also want a liquid reagent test kit, the API Master Test Kit will have most of what you need. Oh, those hang in tank things for ammonia and pH are junk, return them and get your money back. Since you want to keep Africans you might need some other stuff but wait for a Cichlid Guru to chime in on that one.

2: If, when shaken, you get bubbles that don't pop right away then put it back. Nothing with surfactants, dyes or scents. If there is one near you, go to Ace hardware.

3: They break the surface tension of the water helping in gas exchange. If there is plenty of ripple on the water surface you will be fine. If you have live plants and do not inject CO2 a bubbler will help increase both O2 and CO2.

4: I have witnessed a JD wipe out an entire tank of Africans. I don't think that would be a good mix. Wait for a Cichlid Guru to advise before you do it.

Maybe post in the Cichlid forum regarding stock and care.

I would keep african cichlids with africans or S/A C/A cichlids with there own but im sure people do mix them. The Electric blue jack dempsey is not nearly as aggressive as a regular jack for some reason they also seem to be difficult to keep healthy from what I hear.

I have two electric blue jack dempseys in a 75 gallon long tank with several other tank mates such as uaru cichlid a red Severum 5 angel fish a peacock eel and a handful red eye tetras. They have been together for almost a year and I haven't had any problems. I guess everyone's fish experience is different but I hope this helps

Yea I found him at my LFS he was the only one so I got lucky

Attachments

• image-3189103060.jpg
    image-3189103060.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3218426536.jpg
    image-3218426536.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image-2569770602.jpg
    image-2569770602.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 46
Oh an BRW the pix with the Severum where you see the neon tetras. The tetras are gone now, they were eaten by I think uaru but I'm not sure so I had to get a few larger tetras. I got some red eye tetras and a few zebra danios. They have been doing good for a while now and give life to the upper portion of the tank.

darkmatter_3500 said:
I would keep african cichlids with africans or S/A C/A cichlids with there own but im sure people do mix them. The Electric blue jack dempsey is not nearly as aggressive as a regular jack for some reason they also seem to be difficult to keep healthy from what I hear.

Yeah EBJD are less aggressive & harder to keep
If for some reason they do appear in the wild which I heard was rarely they would be out competed by their sibling JDs

1: Oh, those hang in tank things for ammonia and pH are junk, return them and get your money back.

Ugh....i figured they were too good to be true. Luckily i didnt open them yet. Ill try to find recommended water kit.

Back
Top Bottom