Newbie needs help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jann Josh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A good day to all the members and visitors of AA. I have been reading from this site for over a month now and will be starting to setup my aquarium by this coming Christmas. I have some questions that needs some advices from you guys.

1. Will there be an issue on a custom size tank? A friend of mine gave me his tank, but i noticed that it is higher than most of the other tank on sale. It's size is L 24 X W 12 X H 24. I think it can hold about 25 - 30 gals.
2. UGF? Is this really necessary?
3. The list of my fishes that I intend to keep. Need your help on these.
Neon tetra 6
White clouds 6
Pleco 2 -3 (Can you give some that doesn't grows more than 2 inches)
Cory 2 - 3 (Also doesn't grow more that 2 inches)
Dwarf gourami 2 (Male and Female)
Rainbow shark 1
Rainbow fish 3 (Will they bully the small ones)
Betta 1
Well, that's my list. Am I over the capacity of the tank?
4. What kind of substrates can you recommend if Im going to keep this fishes?

Your advices will be most appreciated. Thank you and more power to AA!!!

Hi Jann and welcome to AA!

1. I have the same size tank...it is 30 gal
2. UGF is totally unnecessary
3. rainbows are slightly more agressive than others, you may want to try a bala shark instead and maybe black tetras. I'm not to familiar with betta's. Otos are quite small and aren't going to grow more than 2-3"
4. The substrate doesn't have to be anything special...try not to go for those that are dyed.

Good luck!

Thanks Jchllin!!! Will look into the black tetra and bala shark. Again thanks for the advice.

[center:e85769f5c4] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Jann Josh!! :n00b: [/center:e85769f5c4]

1. According to the AA calculator, this tank is 29 gal. Make sure the water surface is well agitated to ensure oxygen diffuses to the bottom of the tank.
2. No
Neon tetra 6
White clouds 6
Pleco 2 -3 (Can you give some that doesn't grows more than 2 inches)
Cory 2 - 3 (Also doesn't grow more that 2 inches)
Dwarf gourami 2 (Male and Female)
Rainbow shark 1
Rainbow fish 3 (Will they bully the small ones)
Betta 1
Get only one pleco for that size tank. There are some plecos that stay 2", but they are hard to find and are pricey. Clown plecos, Bristle Noses and Rubber Lip stay about 4-5" and would do well in your tank. Cories are well loved in th aquarium hobby and you should have no trouble finding the smaller ones, or you can go with pygmy cories (1" max). The gouramis can get nasty with each other and the betta, or the betta can get nasty with them. I would choose either the gouramis or a betta. The betta may also not like the rainbow fish. Bettas can and will get nasty with other fish of similar body types. As for the shark--most of them grow too large for a 29 gal tank. Plus it's another bottom dweller, along with the pleco and cories. Something to keep in mind is any fish that can fit in another fish's mouth will become lunch--no matter how docile the fish seems. They are opportunistic feeders. Rainbowfish are a favorite around here. I have 10 Celebes rainbows in my 29 gallon. They are quite active and school/shoal together.
Over all, I think you need to look over your list and research the fish you want to keep. I see potential problems and the list as it is now (when all the fish are full grown) will be stuffing that tank full.
4. Any rounded stones/gravel will do nicely. Stay away from substrates with sharp edges because the cory cats will loose their barbels and be prone to infection.

Hi, just a comment about neon tetras. I have had 2 batches from 2 different stores and I've had horrible luck with them. Most of them are wild caught because they are so difficult to breed in the aquarium, and being wild caught fish they are less adaptable to conditions in the aquarium. My tank was pretty established when I put them in there so I am thinking that they may not be the best choice for a new tank, unless you luck out and find some tank raised ones. I totally agree about the plecos also, they can be territorial if there is more than 1. I have a clown pleco and a bristlenose pleco in 2 of my smaller tanks. They are great algae eaters and they stay small.

Back
Top Bottom