Newbie: Please Help Me Plumb 210 Aqueon/AGA Twin Megaflow Pictures/Details Inside!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjbass

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am brand new to this hobby and I am trying to plumb my 210 Aqueon Megaflow with twin overflows. I really need all of your advice on my plumbing. I don't know what to do.

I want to glue this and start running water this weekend, so I really need your help guys!!

Here is what I have:

This is my return line. It is 3/4" coming from my Marineland Model 4 sump.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a top view. I used a union adapter so I can replace the pump if it ever goes and a valve in case I want to restrict the flow by allowing some into the tank. The pump is a Max-Jet 4500.

attachment.php

Here is it to my bulkhead.

attachment.php

Here is a view of one concept I have for my drain line. It is 1". I really need help here. I wanted to use a ball valve and I have a very very short distance between the drilled hole for the drain in the tank and where it attaches to my sump. It is like 7". Here is my attempt at PVC. I had to come down and around to get the valve on due to the small space and I need to attach the elbow straight on to the drain, so I wanted some flexibility and I used spa flex, but I had to come across enough so that I could come straight at it with the spa flex as it does not bend really well.

attachment.php

Another view (I have to trim the spa flex a little to get it on the drain)

attachment.php

Here is another concept using the bulkhead that came with my Aqueon overflow accessory kit.

attachment.php

I used the drain hose that came with my Marineland sump, but it is too long and I had to curl it. I would obviously put hose clamps on. Would this work? Will the curl be a problem? Could I install a valve onto this hose somehow? Would a vinyl hose be better?

attachment.php

Would you stick with the hard plumbing I have or go with the hose? What modifications would you make?

I am not worried about all the elbows on my return line because I am going to be pushing 1240 gph on both overflows. I figure that I won't get quite that with the elbows, but my flow should be good.

BJ

Ok, my return line is done, but my new problem is that the 1 1/4" clear vinyl hose that I bought at Lowe's isn't flexible enough to make the very short turn onto my sump. There is only 5" of distance measured straight with a tape measure and when you hook up the line to the bulkhead you have to put a large amount of pressure to get it to flex and then it kinks the line. I think I may have to go with a hose similar to the one shown above that came with my sump, but a smaller piece. I don't even know where to get this? They have stuff at Lowe's called "bilge" pump hose that looks similar, but it is white.

Back
Top Bottom