newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benji-star

Aquarium Advice Activist
just had a question about the bulbs that you buy and just drop in
do the need any fertilizer other than fish waste to grow well
thanks

what other plants do you recommend for newbie?

Those bulbs are a perfect plant for a newbie. If you have more than 1.5 wpg then they ought to grow, but it depends. Don't worry about fertilizer at this point, just see how they do and report back. It is a very inexpensive investment and in general they will grow great. If you get the aponogeton bulbs they tend to grow tall so as long as the tank is larger than a 20-long (even a 15gal tall is okay for these, actually) then you should be in good shape. Sometimes you get a dwarf lily bulb in there, and they are very nice, and not so tall.

these are supposed to be lily bulbs they have stated to grow - i guess i am a little impatent - but they do look nice already - but all i have for substrat is gravel just checking it out
thanks

Gravel is fine. Once you see growth (that will be leaves first) then you know to plant the other end into the substrate. Don't bury the whole thing, but leave some of the brown bulb peeking out of the gravel. Then roots will grow after leaves and you'll see what's what. Take some pics for us!

I have been growing those bulbs for over a year, probably 50 or 60 of them. I started with a 50 gal with 40 watts of light. Put some flourish plant tabs in your substrate and they grow like crazy.

thanks for the planting info I would have never known to do that. And i will have some pics up by tonight. just a aside you are growing 50 or 60 of these no kidding i am growing 4. Wow! :|
thanks

Back
Top Bottom