Newbie question on filtration and other stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holidays? What do you do with the fish and feeding when you go away? I'm curious as to what is the best method?

Fish sitter
Block
Gel

Any other?

I also read that you don't have to feed them? Up to two weeks? Sound a little crazy to me.

My guys would DESTROY my plants if i left them for a week with no food! Fish (adults, not fry) can go a week without food but my neighbor comes over & gives them a meal every other day. Best idea for this is to section off meals in advance (pill box or baggies) so the risk of overfeeding isnt a factor. :)

Do some searching on here for other suggestions regarding vacations. I would advise to not worry about feeding for the week you are gone- just do a big pwc before leaving & then again when you return. :)

Last edited:
You can buy a pellet thing that the fish can eat off of. I used it for my 3 gallon when I left for 2 weeks. It works good. Just had to do a water change when I got home

I heard they can be bad for the fish, by raising ammonia levels really high?

Does anyone know if regular cotton thread will biodegrade?

Thank again for all you continuing advice.

Your fish should be fine in the week that you are gone. I don't know if you are done with the UGF but I wouldn't use it. Is it powered by a powerhead? And there will be an annoying amount of nitrate levels in the tank over time. From all the waste just sitting under the plates.

I got a regular in tank filter (no room for a hob), will take out the ugf's when I start to scape out the tank, next week hopefully. I have two dragon eyes in there at the moment as the inlaws thought it would be a nice surprise. I'm donating them to my kids nursery this week, they have a well established tank there that has room for extra stock. My kids 8 gallon has a nice balance and didn't want to mess that up, so I had to place the dragon eyes in the larger unready tank.

I was considering using them as part of the cycle then donating them?

I got a regular in tank filter (no room for a hob), will take out the ugf's when I start to scape out the tank, next week hopefully. I have two dragon eyes in there at the moment as the inlaws thought it would be a nice surprise. I'm donating them to my kids nursery this week, they have a well established tank there that has room for extra stock. My kids 8 gallon has a nice balance and didn't want to mess that up, so I had to place the dragon eyes in the larger unready tank.

I was considering using them as part of the cycle then donating them?

When you say dragon eyes, do you mean fancy goldfish as in moors/telescopes? Please do not use them for cycling purposes unless you plan on changing your water twice a day (or more often). They will not fair well & their eyes easily damaged by detectable levels of amm/nitrite & increased levels of nitrates.

Yes unfortunately, it was the tank or the bag for the weekend. I will re-home them as planned tomorrow.

Did a water change on saturday night, and another just now, at roughly 20%, I think they should be ok. I normally do a water change every other day on my kids smaller tank. Once they are gone I can pull out he ugf's get some plants ordered. I have a large plastic box with a lid to soak my bog wood. I'm going to do daily warm water changes instead of cooking it.

Another concern is snails/eggs, is this unavoidable?

Snails/eggs on plants? Inspect them closely. You can either dip your plants in a potassium permagnate solution or a dilute bleach solution (may affect thin stemmed plants) and/or qt the plants. There really isnt anything that is 100% guarenteed though! Just choose your plant sources wisely & know that snails are always a possibility. :)

Can you buy a ready made solution to soak the plants in? I done some looking and all I can find is products you put in your habitat after the fact? I read that a small number can be a benefit to the tank/environment? Not sure how you would keep the numbers down, don't they self reproduce? Sounds like it would be constant battle :(

I use a product made by Jungle called 'Clear Water'. Its a potassium permagnate solution. You add a enough to a bucket of water to turn it purply-pink & dip the plants for @10-15mins then rinse them in some declhorinated water. Petco carries it or you can find it online. But, i still have a few pond snails that have managed to survive on plants. You can dispose of the snails if you find them & dont want them in your tank but they are otherwise harmless.

Does anyone know if there is a uk equivalent as I have found a few places that sell it and it's only 2 dollars to buy it but postage is like 20 dollars?

Never mind, found info on common plain bleach seems to be the way forward.

Yes, a bleach solution will work as well. Use a 1 part bleach to 19 parts water solution & dip plants for 2-3mins (thin stemmed ones- 2mins or less). Good luck! :)

Are none return check valves a necessity?

I have ordered some and my pump is at a lower position to the tank.

My other question would be how much do they impact on air flow?

I have always made sure that the pump on my kids tank is higher for fear of back syphoning.

Cheers for any thoughts on this subject.

From a safety standpoint, check valves are a good idea. Are they an absolute necessity, probably not if your pump sits high enough. If they are lower & you suffer a power outtage in the middle of the night, you may just wake up to an empty tank & floor full of water.... :)

Back
Top Bottom