Newbie Some Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevlar21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I have just got into setting up a freshwater tank and need some advice. I am a complete novice, so my tank is only about 1.5 gallons to start off with.

Firstly can someone please help identify what kind of fish this is? I have attached a picture to this thread.

Also I have attached a picture of 2 substrates, one is aqua soil and the other is small gravels. What is the best way to lay it out? Soil below with the gravel on top? or not use the gravels at all?

I plan to grow plants that I will buy at a later stage, right now I am temporary using artificial plants for decoration. As you can see in the last picture, I made a mess of it and both substrates are mixed together.

Please help.

Thanks

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20150201_132556.jpg
    20150201_132556.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20150201_132643.jpg
    20150201_132643.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 58
Hi, welcome to AA. Can't help on fish ID - did it have a name at the store?

Attached some articles below which may help. A 1.5 gallon tank is unfortunately very small and not suitable for the majority of fish. The fish get too large to swim in and the tank chemistry can go wrong quickly.

It's actually easier to keep a larger tank so I'd suggest a 10 gal minimum (it's also more fun!).

A larger tank and a water chemistry kit (see links below on cycling) will get you well on your way.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Hey bud, welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, that is a German Blue Ram, and gets way too big for a 1.5 gallon tank. Also, the Ram needs very good water chemistry and conditions, which are very hard to achieve in such a small tank. If you don't have the choice of getting a larger tank, put a small lava rock in there, some live Anubias plants and a few Endlers Guppies. Return the Ram immediately though. It will die soon if you do not. Also, make sure that you cycle your tank first. Still, Don't keep the Ram if you can't get at least a 10 gallon.

Nils

That is a German blue Rams or maybe a bolivian ram (most likely a GBR) and you could probably put a beta fish with maybe a few guppies but you might risk over crowding. That was my first set up and it went great. Good luck and welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey, welcome to the forum! The fish you posted looks like some type of cichlid to me. Like Delapool and Nils said, I wouldn't get that fish or any type of cichlid w/o having at least a 10g. Wouldn't recommend cichlids for beginners either and I would recommend getting a bigger tank if you're interested in having multiple kinds of fish in your tank. For a 1.5g I would recommend getting a betta (only. any more would overstock IMO). They're hardy, beautiful fish that aren't too messy. And they have great personalities too! They are one of my favorite fish and I love everything about them. Good luck!

That looks like a Balloon Ram aka Angel Ram. Due to body deformity it may not live as long. Rams should be in a minimum 20g. 20Longs are better as they get territorial about the bottom of the tank.

A 1.5g is pretty useless as a fish tank.
I recommend at least a 2.5g for A single Betta. Most fish start at 10g and up.

Tiny tanks cannot be heated so they're useless for tropical fish. They also become toxic way too quickly.

Please return your fish until you can cycle a 20-40g aquarium. I would not recommend a fish in cycle with a ram they are too sensitive.

Rams need Heat, filtration and live plants to thrive.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+870+1084&pcatid=1084

Please research before buying fish. If a fish store recommended that fish for a 1.5g you should report them to the manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom