Newbie Starting a 20GL eith fish cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jrgreen23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so I started my tank 2 days ago. I let the water filter and heat. I bought prime and Added that to the tank. Today I bought 3 black skirted tetra and am hoping they can make it through the cycle and help stabilize my tank. Need help with figuring out what else will help stabilize my tank and allow me to start getting some more fish

You need to invest in a fresh water master test kit and test, test, test!

I made the mistake of adding fish in my non-cycled tank and I'm worrying for my fish cuz I have high ammonia and not enough beneficial bacteria.

I've been doing 50% partial water changes to reduce it, but this is probably not making life easy for my 3 platies.

I had my tank running a couple days too before I was told by Petsmart I was good to add fish. It really needs time.

I'm learning the hard way. :banghead:

Yeah it looks like I've lost one already, I'm going to have to get a kit. If one does die, as cruel as it sounds could you let it stay a day or two and maybe add to the bacteria in the tank or will tht just cause more harm than already done

Yeah it looks like I've lost one already, I'm going to have to get a kit. If one does die, as cruel as it sounds could you let it stay a day or two and maybe add to the bacteria in the tank or will tht just cause more harm than already done

The bacteria are actually found in the air, and that is how they get in your tank. However, there are a higher concentration on the fish than in the air, but they are all in the tank by now. Leaving the fish in will just cause the fish to deteriorate, putting more ammonia in the water. You definitely need a freshwater master test kit, you can get one on amazon for $20 with shipping, here: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: API Freshwater Master Test Kit

Hope this helps!

:welcome: to Aquarium Advice!

Back
Top Bottom