Newbie Taking on a Doozy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be careful harvesting stuff from the river, especially those whose climate is close to the aquarium. Unwanted and harmful hitchhikers can tag along.
But careful treatment (boiling wood and substrate) should prevent pests.

IMG_20170121_181055_919.jpglocated 2/3 of my species right behind my neighborhood in Orlando. I have collected some rocks but not enough, must go to rock springs. I also found 2 pieces of cypress root and one piece of oak I think. They're nice looking pieces. I'll post them when I get them cleaned up properly.

DIY foam background would make a sick overhang for em to chill in the tank :)

Way killer to see this comming along for sure.

DIY foam background would make a sick overhang for em to chill in the tank :)

Way killer to see this comming along for sure.
I was gonna do the diy overhanging bank but I'm worried my 55 long would be crampt with a 3d background. Unless I could do a thin one. I really wanted to do this but I dropped the idea, now you're making me wanna do it again! Lol

Id just do the over hang maybe as a corner piece that was only the horizontal part without the wall beneath, so almost like a shelf.

I had a 90g native tank. With mostly flags and pygmy sunfish. Sunfish are awesome fish. I think everyone covered the possible dangers of collecting. I collect some plants as well. Lots of fun.

I don't get what you mean bye corner piece. Can you show me some examples? I was just ghiking about doing a shelf on the back wall. Something thicker up top that's a bit undercut

I don't get what you mean bye corner piece. Can you show me some examples? I was just ghiking about doing a shelf on the back wall. Something thicker up top that's a bit undercut
Just like if it were a corner shelf of some kind that would allow em to get outa the light a bit.
Or even do it on the slender side of the tank.
Idk what type of plants ya want but if it was in the back than it (and the fish under it) may get hidden eventually by taller plants

So something that looks like this with silicone (red) on the back bit and the side where its body attaches to the glass.
I think that this would create the visual illusion of more length and would also allow you to still see yer fish if they decide to hide under it all day.

Attachments

• 1485187640552.jpg
    1485187640552.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 122
So something that looks like this with silicone (red) on the back bit and the side where its body attaches to the glass.
I think that this would create the visual illusion of more length and would also allow you to still see yer fish if they decide to hide under it all day.
Great idea because ive read that bluespots love to get out of. Sigtht. There is going to be plenty of cover in this tank. I already have 3 nice pieces of wood that will provide great cover as well but I think ill make the shelf. Also, I'm planning on getting some bladdarwart, the elodia that's native, I forgot its name and some grass

Yea I'm going to go to hhgreg this Friday to collect foam. I think I'm going to make a shelf and a thin background as well. Go hard or go home I guess. Thanks for the diagram too it really helped!

Blue foam insulation is the best. Ive made a few with the Drylok method too so if ya want some help, hit me up.

Blue foam insulation is the best. Ive made a few with the Drylok method too so if ya want some help, hit me up.
Where do o get this from? Is it cheap because I was just bonne use Styrofoam and cement

Home depot ...its a bit pricey, especially if yer just doing a small thing.
Id check offer up and craigslist, many folks just pitch the excess after their projects

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mat/5919913944.html I found this it looks like a great deal! 3$ for a 4'x8'x2.5" seems legit. I think I could get away with one piece. My tank is still dry BTW.

Also I just ordered a Perfect Dip Net from Jonah's Aquarium so its about to get real! I located the dollar sunnie and bluespotted with hook and line. Had to knock em off my lifelist (anyone into fishing?) anyhow so it was by no means a waste of time.

Taking things one step further and doing a sand substrate with rocks mixed in. Any idea how I should layer it?

Hmmm well some of that depends on what ya wanna plant too?
The mixture of textures would certainly allow good root hold.

If yer talking about layering vs mixing than i generally prefer fine over course (sand as a cap over stone) just because substrate vac is easier to skim over sand.

After a time though the sand will fall through the stones, but by then the roots are usually deep enough where this creates benneficial compacting.

Actually mixing sounds good. I want some rocks so the fish can make beds

Back
Top Bottom