Newbie Tank Plans - Equipment Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveZim1017

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, been Lurking for a week or so and am going this weekend to get my 1st aquarium (since childhood)

Before buying everything I wanted to get opinions on equipment.

my tank is a 29 Gallon bowfront rectangle from the LPS that came with a stand and full cover to keep the cats at bay. Looking at a tropical Freshwater setup

I have not purchased any of these yet but what I have decided on so far is:

Penguin Biowheel 150 filter

Python gravel vac

API Master Test Kit

Tetra Safe Start

6 inch bubble wall

Medium sized driftwood

What I have no Idea on yet is:

Heater / thermostat brand, I know I need at least 150w

If I should use gravel or another substrate.

anything else I may be missing :confused:

I was planning on getting a Java fern and possibly another live plant in the tank potted. and put them in 1st as a begin to cycle the water.

my eventual goal (stressing eventual, I know I have a long path in front of me if I want to do it right) is to add 5 Endlers Livebearers as my first fish group and an Albino Bristlenose Pleco as my 2nd inclusion.:fish2:

Any and I mean ANY advice would be welcome. as I said I have lurked for a while and read all the welcome and noob forums so I promise to cycle before even thinking of buying any fish. :D

:welcome: to AA! :)
Hello everyone, been Lurking for a week or so and am going this weekend to get my 1st aquarium (since childhood)
Awesome!

my tank is a 29 Gallon bowfront rectangle from the LPS that came with a stand and full cover to keep the cats at bay. Looking at a tropical Freshwater setup

The Bio-wheels are good but not the best IMO. I would go for an AquaClear, a lot more quiet and efficient. Try AquaClear 50 or 70.
Python gravel vac
Good
API Master Test Kit
Awesome!
Tetra Safe Start
Skip IMO. It doesn't really do much if you're doing a fishless cycle, doing pure ammo is more better. Read The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling, it will help you a lot :)
6 inch bubble wall

Medium sized driftwood
If you don't want your water to be coffee-colored, make sure you run it through the dishwasher before hand to leach all the tannins off.

I like Aquaeon Heaters.

Most people prefer really fine gravel, sand, or PFS (pool filter sand), all personal choice.
A light fixture (if you're just doing fish and low-light plants like java fern standard T8s are fine, if you wanted to do live plants I say T5s or T5HOs.
Some good decholrinator, like Prime, will help.

I was planning on getting a Java fern and possibly another live plant in the tank potted. and put them in 1st as a begin to cycle the water.

my eventual goal (stressing eventual, I know I have a long path in front of me if I want to do it right) is to add 5 Endlers Livebearers as my first fish group and an Albino Bristlenose Pleco as my 2nd inclusion.:fish2:
Sounds good :)
Any and I mean ANY advice would be welcome. as I said I have lurked for a while and read all the welcome and noob forums so I promise to cycle before even thinking of buying any fish. :D
I wrote in bold red. Good luck! :)

Hi and welcome to AA! My advice below in blue:

I don't know about the Penguins, maybe someone else can answer. But I have an AquaClear HOB and an Internal Fluval and I'd recommend either of those. The Aquaclear is very good too b/c you can put any media you want in it (it comes with a sponge, carbon, and biomax. I left out the carbon and put another pad in).

Python gravel vac
Python is probably overkill for a 29 gal. The Aqueon Water changer does the same thing and is probably cheaper. I have one and it's great.

API Master Test Kit
Good!

Tetra Safe Start
Hm, I wouldn't bother. It may or may not work, but if you're going to fishless cycle the tank before getting fish you don't need it. What would be better is some seeded media from an established tank if you can get it.

6 inch bubble wall
That's fine.

Medium sized driftwood
That's fine too, just maybe boil it or run it through a clean dishwasher a few times to release the tannins.

I have an Aqueon submersible heater and I like it a lot. The temp is adjustable with a dial. I'd also suggest getting an internal thermometer (not the strips that stick, but an internal one like this), just to double-check that the heater is holding the right temp.

Either one is fine, I have sand and like it a lot. But gravel would work too unless you're looking at fish that like to dig around, like Corys, some of those fish have barbels and the sand would be better for them.

A good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime.
And a bottle of Pure ammonia if you're doing a fishless cycle.

That should be fine. I don't know what your lighting is on the tank. Some plants require a minimum amount of light.

I thin those would be fine, and you'd have room for more as well.

Back
Top Bottom